How to Stitch a Long Frock
In this article, I'll explain how I stitched a long frock for my daughter Anna. This frock has many flairs but is very easy to make.
I often create new patterns of frocks for Anna. I'll start by researching the Internet and create a design in my mind. However, I usually end up with something completely different. T
his one turned out beautifully; it impressed friends and family members.
Anna, who was three at that time, didn't require much for her long frock.
- Pink net material with a white print -- 3.5 meters
- Pink satin material for the lining -- 1.5 meters
- Dark pink lace to decorate the frock and also to create the headband -- 1 meter
There was not a piece of material wasted.
Cutting the Pattern
Please see the image sketches below for a better idea of how the pattern should be cut. Please note, however, that these are not technical or professional explanations, just my personal ones.
For measuring, it is better to first use an already correctly fitted frock of your child.
- Place it along with the net material, which should be folded into four as we do it for Churidars. Note: Be sure that you take a portion towards the end of the whole net material to avoid waste.
- Now, cut the top portion and split the front and back ends. Cut the back portion along the middle so that it will be open on the back of the frock.
- Then, take just enough cloth for tying the frock and make an equal portion of the rest of the material to stitch the bottom portion.
- For the top, take the same lining material measurement and leave the rest for the bottom. Also, make sure you cut enough cloth for tying the top to the neck.
Read More From Feltmagnet
Stitching the Frock
- Top: Join the lining with the front net material, with the good side of the net cloth inside. Then, revert the same. Likewise, do this for the back portion also.
- Bottom: Now, stitch the bottom portion and the lining to the top portion -- this is for both the front and backside. Stitch the cloth to tie the frock separately, join the top, front, and then stitch together the front and back portions.
- Neck: Then, stitch the cloth to tie the frock to the neck. Note: To create a special look, stitch the lace towards the neck and also to the waist of the frock. With the rest of the lace, a headband also can be created.
© 2013 DEEPA JOHN
Srilakshmi on August 24, 2018:
Roshni raghuvanshi on April 12, 2018:
Please translate to cutting & stitching information in hindi
mohsin azmati on September 06, 2017:
manisha basu on August 22, 2017:
Very nice thanks for drress
saroj on July 11, 2017:
Very nice drress
Aditi Naik on February 21, 2017:
It's beautiful frock and easy to stitch. Mam in the back side pic of frock, it shows that there is another tie belts at wast. Is it so?
DEEPA JOHN (author) from Trivandrum, Kerala,India on October 31, 2016:
no I haven't put anything other than satin for line... if we use cotton lining under the satin, kids will be more comfortable if the atmosphere is hotter...
Madhuri on September 23, 2016:
Is there any other lining material back of the satin cloth
Alekhya on June 08, 2016:
So pretty frock....easy to learn...thanq......
Harpreet samra on December 17, 2015:
Very nice dress & the sewing pattern is so easy
nithyashrinath on October 15, 2015:
Great job friend. Anna is cute in both.
shenaz poonawala on August 15, 2015:
learning to stich
salma on August 15, 2015:
Nice frock yaaa
Bhuvana on August 03, 2015:
Can you upload simple frock pattern for girls of age 11
hasna faisal on July 22, 2015:
Nice frock and very good explanation.
Expecting more from u......
shivani Rahul singh on July 21, 2015:
Wow nice frock....!!!!
thanvi on May 31, 2015:
Very nice dress
puja on May 19, 2015:
Very nice anna nd ur description too..can u suggest wats da bottom length for a three months baby
Preet on May 17, 2015:
Neetu on May 04, 2015:
Very cutye baby n nice frock.....
sheeja on April 30, 2015:
Its very useful my daughter same this age
uzma on April 27, 2015:
good way to elaborate
i will make it for my daughter.
aarju on April 11, 2015:
I like ur pinky frocks.
I am fashion student.
I like it
Afsiya S on March 19, 2015:
Anna is super cute
fathima on March 19, 2015:
Very easy when you describe
jeniffer on February 27, 2015:
I want thz video.
era on February 24, 2015:
Gayathri on January 10, 2015:
Anna is beautiful, the sewing pattern is also easy
Prasanna on January 02, 2015:
Naga laksmi on December 01, 2014:
Very nice dress I like you
ik on November 05, 2014:
i see u
noori on September 07, 2014:
Good morning mam I like ur style.. & pattern but I don't understand back half ..
rasela Jalaludeen on September 04, 2014:
Thank you. Ilike anna's frock and I will stich this frock
DEEPA JOHN (author) from Trivandrum, Kerala,India on April 19, 2013:
Thanks My Cook Book :)
Dil Vil from India on April 19, 2013:
Anna is looking so cute in the pinky frock. Pink always looks great on small kids, the pics are good. Your hub is great deepa. It is Useful and informative with good pics. Great work!