The author of this article is an ex-adult education lecturer and retired expat who has lived in France since 2001.
Lace doilies have traditionally been produced in white, ecru, or pale pastel shades, but by harnessing the vibrant colours displayed by cultivated pansies, this pattern adds a modern twist to a beautiful ancient craft. This doily would look at home in any contemporary setting.
Full instructions for this project are provided below.
ch - chain stitch
sl st - slip stitch
sc - single crochet
dc - double crochet
tc - treble crochet
Choose cotton or woolen thread in ten shades to be your colour scheme and a suitable size of crochet hook for the thickness of the thread.
Read More From Feltmagnet
For example, to make a table doily using ten colours you will need:
- A size 2mm crochet hook.
- 10 balls of Coats Anchor Freccia 3-ply crochet cotton in dark green, lighter green, yellow, orange, crimson, deep purple, mauve, ultramarine, blue and pale blue.
Instructions for Making a Central Star Shape
- Tie light green thread to crochet hook and make 3 ch. Sl st first and last st together to make a circle.
- Into the circle, make 5 sc. Next, crochet 2 sc into each of these stitches to make 10 stitches.
- Continue to make 2 sc into each st on this spiral until it increases in size, becoming a flat, circular disk with a perimeter of 25 stitches.
- Next, sl st fasten on next st. Stop working onto disk.*
- Make 5 ch. Leave a space of 4 st on the disk and sl st into the 5th stitch on the disk.*
- Repeat from * to * 4 times, then sl st into the base of the first 5 ch. There will now be 5 loops around the edge of the disk.
- Next, make 4 ch for height and tc into the first chain loop 6 times. Tc 7 times into each of the next 4 loops and sl st fasten to the top of the 4th start.
- Increase the size of the disk now by crocheting 2 sc into each space around the edge to meet the first space. Continue around the edge once more, crocheting 1 sc into each st ending with a sl st to fasten.
- The circumference of the disk will now have 70 stitches and there will be 5 spaces equally radiating from the centre on the front of the disk.
- With the attached thread, develop the star shape: **Make 20 ch, then sl st attach to 14th st along disk edge from base of this chain (or into st on edge above centre radiating space).** Repeat from ** to ** 4 times to meet, making 5 large loops around disk edge.
- Proceed with same thread crochet ***1 sc from the base into each of 10 ch along the first loop. Crochet 2 more sc into 10th chain st to form apex of triangle, then continue to sc into the next 10 ch.*** Repeat from *** to *** 4 times to meet first triangle, sl st fasten, cut off thread (not too close).
- Using thread of a different green colour, sl st attach in same place at base of first triangle, ****make 3 ch, leave a gap of 1 st along the triangle edge, then sl st into next st.**** Repeat from **** to **** to continue making these tiny loops along the outer edge of every triangle and around the central circle shape. Sl st fasten, then cut off thread.
How to Crochet a Flower Petal Shape
- To make one 3-petal flower shape, begin with yellow thread tied to the crochet hook. (This is the first chain stitch). *Make 4 more ch and sl st join 1st and 5th of these together to form a circle.*
- From the st already on the hook, repeat from * to * twice, forming two more circles, slip stitch join base of first to base of third circle. These are the centre three circles on which the petal shapes develop.
- Into each circle, crochet 5 sc. Next, crochet into first circle stitch spaces: * 1 sc, 2 dc in next st, 1 tc, 2 dc in next st, 1 sc. Repeat from * to * into stitches of next two circles. Cut off thread (leave 2 inches), and attach colour orange thread in same place.
- Proceed around first circle shape with: **1 sc, 3 dc in next st space, 2 tc in next, 2 tc in next, 3 dc in next, 1 sc, sl st.** Repeat from ** to ** twice. Cut off thread and introduce new colour crimson thread in same place.
- Crochet *** 1 sc, 2 dc in next st space, 2 dc in next, 2 dc in next, 3 dc in next, 1 dc in next, 3 dc in next, 2 dc in next, 2 dc in next, 2 dc in next, 1 sc, 1 sl st.*** Repeat from *** to *** twice. Cut off crimson thread. Introduce yellow thread in same place. (This loop is the first of 4 ch.)
- ****Make 4 ch, miss next 3 stitches, sl st into next st space.**** Repeat from **** to **** continuously along the edges of each petal shape to meet the start. Sl st fasten to complete and cut off thread. (Leave length). This 3-petal shape is now complete.
- Next, create additional petal above 2 of the 3 already made. Attach colour deep purple thread at middle stitch on edge of one of the completed petals. Make 16 ch, sl st join to opposite middle place on edge of the next petal shape. Work back along this chain crocheting 16 sc onto it. (At the 8th of these, sl st attach it to middle st on yellow edge.)
- At the end of the row, sl st fasten, turn over to the front. Continuing with same thread, crochet 3 sl st, 3 sc, 4 dc, 3 sc, 3 sl st. Sl st fasten and cut off thread. (Leave some length.)
- Attach the colour crimson to the beginning of the last row. *3 ch, miss one stitch, sl st to next st.* Repeat from * to * along the purple stitches. Fasten, cut off thread. (Again, leave some length.)
- Attach green-coloured thread and make 12 ch to over-arch new crimson/mauve top petal. Join it there with a sl st.
- Turn the whole shape over and work back along the chain making 7 of the following groups of stitches: *1 sl st, 2 sc, 1 dc, 2 sc, 1 sl st.* Cut off thread. (Leave some length with which to make a join later.)
Putting It All Together
- Make altogether 5 red pansy shapes, each with an additional petal in mauve and crimson colours. Complete each of these also with the over-arching green leaf outer edge shape.
- Make altogether 5 blue pansy shapes, each with an additional petal in dark blue and purple colours.
- Place all of these around the already completed green star shape Secure each one into position with a knot tie at every shape edge and weave loose ends into stitches on the back of the doily with the crochet hook.
- *Attach green thread at base of one over-arching green leaf shape. Make 21 chain stitches. 1 sl st join this chain at other side of the arch.*
- Repeat from * to * 4 times, then sc into each stitch along all five of these chains.
- Join 11th stitch of each chain to the base of each star space around the centre disk creating green frames around the red flower shapes. Join the bottom petal edge of each blue flower shape to a top point of the central star shape.
© 2019 Annabelle Johnson