My favorite hobby is crocheting doll clothes. Using what I've learned from reading existing patterns, I create my own designs for Barbie.
Crocheted Accessories for Dolls
I got a request to make more accessories, so here are two new designs I came up with: Barbie Backpack and Berry-Stitched Shrug. Since it also fits other fashion dolls, my Makies doll will be modeling the individual pieces for the tutorial. The accessories are also the right size for other 10–12" fashion dolls.
- Size No. 5 Steel Crochet Hook
- Size No. 10 Crochet Cotton Thread
- Tapestry Needle
Abbreviations Used in American Terms
- Ch: chain
- St(s): stitch(es)
- Sl st: slip stitch
- Sk: skip
- FL: front loops
- BLO: back loops only
- RS: right side
- Ch-sp: chain space
- Sc: single crochet
- Hdc: half double crochet
- Hdc2tog: hdc the next 2 sts together
- Berry st: berry stitch: ch 3, sc in the next st. (When working on the row above the berry st, sk ch 3, sc in the next st, push the ch 3 to the RS of the work).
Barbie Backpack Pattern
Starting from the bottom:
- Round 1: In a magic loop, ch 1 (does not count as hdc all throughout), hdc 6 times , join with sl st in the first hdc. (6)
- Round 2: Ch 1, 2 hdc in each hdc around, join. (12)
- Round 3: Ch 1, (hdc in the next hdc, 2 hdc in the next hdc) around, join, turn. (18)
- Round 4: Ch 1, (hdc in the next 2 hdc, 2 hdc in the next hdc) around, join, turn. (24)
- Round 5: Ch 1, (hdc in the next 3 hdc, 2 hdc in the next hdc) around, join, turn. (30)
- Round 6: Ch 1, hdc in each hdc around, join, turn. (30)
- Rounds 7–8: Repeat Round 6. (30)
- Round 9: Ch 1, (hdc in the next 8 hdc, hdc2tog) around, join. (27)
- Rounds 10–13: Repeat Round 6. (27)
Working on the flap:
- Row 14: Working in BLO, ch 1, hdc in the next 12 hdc, sk the remaining sts, turn. (12)
- Row 15: Ch 1, hdc in each hdc across, turn. (12)
- Row 16: Ch 1, hdc2tog, hdc in the next 8 hdc, hdc2tog, turn (10)
- Row 17: Repeat Row 15. (10)
- Fasten off.
Read More From Feltmagnet
- Row 18: Working in the free FL of Round 13, attach thread in the first loop, ch 1, sc in the first 3 loops, sk the remaining loops, turn. (3)
- Row 19: Ch 1, sc in the next 3 sc, turn. (3)
- Rows 20–41: Repeat Row 19. (3)
- Adjust the straps by adding or subtracting more Rows at this point
- Fasten off. Leave a long tail for sewing later.
- Repeat the First strap on the 3rd to the last free FL of Round 13.
- Weave in all ends. Sew the straps between the 5th and 6th Rounds of the bag.
Berry-Stitched Shrug Pattern
- Row 1: Ch 22, sc in the 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn. (21)
- Row 2 (RS): Ch 1, sc in the first sc, berry st in the next st, (sc in the next 2 sc, berry st in the next sc) 6 times, sc in the last sc, turn.
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in each sc across, skipping all ch-3 sps, turn. (21)
- Rows 4–19: Repeat Rows 2 and 3. (9 Rows of berry sts)
- Row 20: Ch 1, sc in each sc across, do not turn. (21)
- Row 21: Working on the sides of the Rows, ch 1, sc in each row, join with sl st in the first sc to form the first armhole, turn. (19)
- Row 22: Ch 1, sc in each sc around, join, turn. (19)
- Rows 23–25: Repeat Row 22. (19)
- Fasten off.
- Repeat Rows 21–25 on the other side to form the second sleeve.
- Weave in all ends.