How to quick sketch a face
There are different reasons to quick sketch a human face. There are two methods for consideration.
The first method is to draw a circle:
1. Draw a vertical and a horizontal line in the middle of the circle creating 4 squares. This represents the top of the head to the bottom of the facial cheeks.
2. Draw a line on either side of the face at ear locations. The line serves as a guide to create the oblong pattern of the human head.
3. Add the jaw and chin shape below the lower circle.
4. Fill in the details of the face and refine.
This method is capturing the identity and the details of the individual in one sitting.
The second method is freestyle:
1. Draw the eye sockets
2. Place the eyebrows above the eye sockets.
3. Fill in the details of the eyes.
4. Add the nose, then the mouth.
5. Sketch the shape of the face and refine.
Try both methods. Either may be used depending on the situation. For example, I prefer the second method when capturing the personal identity of the individual’s eyes is important. I feel that I can fill in the rest of the face at a slower pace.