Fall Autumn Photography Props and Photo Shoot Ideas
This fall think about adding some new accessories, props, and backdrops to your photography sessions. There are ideas available from weddings to newborn baby shoots with something for everyone. Don't hesitate to mix and match different photography ideas. There are endless possibilities for different shoots.
Props and Photo Shoot Ideas for the Fall
Infants, Toddlers, and Children
Engagement and Couples
Pregnancy and Maternity
Infants, Toddlers, and Children
- Pumpkins. If you don't have any opportunity to get out to a pumpkin patch, consider dressing your baby up in a pumpkin costume or crocheted hat.
- Among the fallen leaves. Get down on the ground and capture your baby or children among the rich colors of the fallen leaves.
- In a wagon.
- In an apple barrel. Consider scattering apples around and/or in the barrel to complete the aesthetic.
- (for babies) In a jar filled with candy corn.
- On a hay bale or for a set of babies or children, on a pile of hay bales.
Tip: Consider bringing some props on location with you. For example, bring an old suitcase for people to sit on in the woods or at the park.
- In the woods among the trees with brightly colored leaves.
- Walking on a path filled with fallen leaves.
- By the lake or river. The changing leaves will reflect beautifully in the water behind your subjects.
- On a park bench. Again, the leaves will create a stunning backdrop.
- At the pumpkin patch or apple orchard. Use a natural outing as a great excuse for a family photo shoot.
- Having a leaf fight. Mix up the end of a photo session by letting everyone have a little fun.
- Free family portrait photography cheat sheet | Digital Camera World
Learn how to navigate your camera through challenging conditions with this free photography cheat sheet for taking better family portrait photography.
- top ten list of family photography tips
Group Outdoor Family Portrait Tutorial in Natural Light
Engagement and Couples
- Among the changing leaves on the trees or on the ground. Among the falling leaves is another great option in the fall.
- Enjoying fall apples during a final picnic for the year.
- On a bike ride during one of the last warm days of the fall.
- On a park bench. Look for a spot that highlights the beautiful trees in the area.
- Enjoying a first warm weather drink, such as apple cider or hot chocolate.
Maternity or Pregnancy
- Leaning against an old fence, surrounded by colored fallen leaves.
- Embracing fall clothing. Popular options include long shirts, warm dresses, boots, and fashionable hats and gloves.
- Among the changing leaves on the trees or on the ground.
- Architecture shoot with fall colors. Look for buildings and other points of interest that have colors to compliment a fall palette, such as an interesting building with a red door.
- 5 Tips for Flattering Maternity Photography.
- Maternity Photography Ideas: 17 tips for pregnancy photos she’ll cherish forever | Digital Camera Wo
Maternity photography requires extra sensitivity. To help, here are our best posing tips and ideas for pregnancy photos everyone will love.
- Photography Poses (Couples & Maternity) Pinterest Board
Explore Jaymi McClusky's board "Photography Poses (Couples & Maternity)" on Pinterest, the world's catalog of ideas. | See more about Maternity Session, Maternity and Engagement Shoots.
Photographing Fall Colors - Tips & Tricks for Better Color (Part I)
Colorful leaves continue to be a popular theme for virtually any type of fall photography shoot, including wedding shoots.
- Does the couple have a fall color scheme? Make sure to highlight it in some of the photos.
- Make use of fall props. Consider pumpkins, apple picking baskets, and more.
- Holiday themed props. Are you shooting a wedding close to Halloween or Thanksgiving? Some couples may enjoy playing up this aspect of their wedding in their photos.
- On the farm. Rustic red barns are a classic choice for any wedding photo shoot, but they seem to be particularly popular during the fall.
- Fall Wedding Photo Ideas
Fall is a beautiful season to have a wedding. The cooler weather, the changing leaves, the harvest-inspired menus...
- Fall Weddings – Fall Wedding Planning – Fall Wedding Ideas
Fall Weddings – Planning your Fall wedding? Fall.Weddings.com has everything you need from Fall wedding ideas and information on Fall wedding planning.
Portrait Ideas for Weddings
More seasonal photography resources from the author.
- Fall Photo Ideas
Fall is an ideal time of year for a wide variety of photography shoots. Consider different types of items and settings for backgrounds and props. These ideas are applicable for weddings, family photos, maternity shoots, and much more.
- Spring Photography Props and Photo Shoot Ideas
This spring make your photography sessions complete with fun props, accessories, and backdrops. There are ideas here for babies, children, couples, and families including maternity and wedding options.
- Summer Photography: Props and Photo Ideas
Do you have summer photography sessions scheduled this year? Make your photographs complete with fun props, accessories, and backdrops for infants, children, couples, and families.
© 2013 Rose Clearfield
More by this Author
The golden hour offers magical soft light to create stunning images of landscapes, people, still lifes, and more. Learn to harness its powerful effects and take your photography to the next level.
Are you interested in helping your kids become better photographers? From taking local classes to learning basic composition techniques, your children will be improving their skills in no time.
This article is about how to price homemade craft items. It includes the most commonly used formulas for baseline, retail, and wholesale pricing as well as advice on everything from comparing the prices of similar...