Digital Photography—Canon DSLR 500D Camera ds126231
Canon DSLR 500D—Rebel Camera
The Canon EOS 500D DSLR camera, sometimes referred to as a "Rebel", I have no idea why? Is, in my opinion, one of the best 'entry level' Digital Single Lens Reflex Cameras available on the market today!
Another DSLR Camera I will be looking at is the Nikon D5100 Model which come with very high recommendations! But first...
I will be doing a review on the Canon EOS 500D Twin Lens Kit, which is the unit I was given to try out!
Purely from the point of view of a serious amateur photographer. I am sure are a lot of the people who read this article are in a similar position to me so please feel free to ask questions and if you have one of these cameras let's know what you think!
This Canon camera was sold as a kit from Canon. The camera and Twin lens package came nicely packed in one carton and looked very impressive!
Canon EOS 500D Specifications
For those of you interested in the technical side of the Canon Camera, here are some of the Specification of the Canon EOS Rebel T1i EOS 500D phew what a mouthful . From now on it will just be Canon 500D:
- Digital Single lens reflex
- CMOS sensor with a very impressive 15.10 effective megapixels
- DIGIC 4 a high precision and high speed 9 point Auto Focus
- Close on 3.4 frames per second continuous shooting (in my book that is impressive).
- Full "manual" control for those hard to judge lighting photographs.
- Image stabilizer on both Lens.
- Live View shooting (you get to see what you are shooting with the screen not the view finder)
- Full! High-Definition movie shooting. Depending on the size of the SD Card your expected recording time may range from 12mins to 1.5 hours. And the battery life may be approximately I hour with the battery fully charged! (now that is impressive)
- There is too many functions to list separately here but just check out the Impressive array situated conveniently on the top of the camera. With clunky fingers like mine this comes in very handy indeed!
Canon EOS 500D unpackaging Check List
The rig I was able to get my hands on was actually a Canon EOS 500D Twin Lens Kit which comes with :
- Canon DS126231 Camera body.
- EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS Lens (Image stabilizer built-in)
- EF-S 55-250mm f4 - 5.6 IS Lens (Image stabilizer also built-in)
- Battery pack and charger.
- Interface cable for downloading images to computer
- Cable, AV (Audio Video for direct connection to Television, they thought of nearly everything!)
- Software for downloading and editing images
- Instruction Manual (unusual these days)
Canon 18-55mm Zoom Lens
The 18-55 mm lens provides a zoom capable of giving you a great close up image without getting too close to the subject.
The adjacent image was taken with the 18-55mm lens at the minimum setting of 18mm.
For your comparison, the image was taken from exactly the same place as the next image!
55-250mm Zoom Lens
This 55-250mm Zoom Lens comes as a standard part of the Canon DSLR 500D Kit that was supplied and this is a beautiful lens. The operation and Zoom mechanism is smooth and allows you to get in real close when you need to not be close! Built into the lens is the 'image stabaliser' and it works a treat. Very handy with larger Zoom lenses!
The adjacent photograph was taken from the same position as the photograph above and with the 55-250mm lens fitted to the Canon 500D body. It was set at the maximum Zoom of 250mm to give you some idea of the Zoom effect compared to the smaller 18-55mm Lens.
A nice demo of the Canon EOS 500D Camera
- Grips and feels like a real camera
- Balance is great even with the longer lens attached
- I love the image stabilizer feature
The Grouches that I can came up with at this time is that there is no SD card supplied with the Camera, you would think that they could throw a small card in to at least get you going?
The other Gouch was that there was no offer of a spare battery which many Camera manufacturers do these days!
Suggested Optional Extras
Extras you may consider buying may include:
- A good quality padded bag for transportation especilly with the 2 lens it gets awkward
- An extra battery for those long shoots
- Extra Cards if you feel the urge to shoot lots of video
- A good quality Tripod
- As well as a tripod I would also suggest a Monopod for ease of setting up on a field trip.
Conclusion and Rating the Canon D500 DSLR Camera
Conclusion and Rating:
Although at this time I have not had time to test out all of the functions of this Camera I must say I am very impressed with the quality and the ease of handling provided by Canon in the unit.
In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with this Canon EOS 500D Camera as an entry level DSLR especially if you purchase it in the Kit form.
I will be adding to this article as I use more of its functions, so please feel free to Bookmark this and check back on a regular basis!
- Canon EOS 500D Rebel T1i Camera Specifications
For a full list of specifications on the Canon EOS 500D Rebel T1i Camera, go to the Canon Website, I'm sure you will be impressed!