Digital Photography: Canon Dslr 500d Camera Review
Canon DSLR 500D - Rebel Camera
I believe the Canon EOS 500D DSLR camera (sometimes referred to as "Rebel" is one of the best 'entry level' Digital Single Lens Reflex Cameras available on the market today!
I will be doing a review on the Canon EOS 500D Twin Lens Kit from the point of view of a serious amateur photographer.
I was given the kit to try out, and I am sure a lot of the people want to know as much as they can about it. Please feel free to ask questions about it! If you have one of these cameras, let me know what you think!
This Canon camera was sold as a kit from Canon. The camera and Twin lens package came nicely packed in one carton and looked very impressive!
Note: Another DSLR Camera I will be looking at is the Nikon D5100 Model which come with very high recommendations! But first...
Canon EOS 500D Specifications
For those of you interested in the technical side of the Canon Camera, here are some of the features of the Canon EOS Rebel T1i EOS 500D (Canon 500D):
- Digital Single-lens reflex
- CMOS sensor with a very impressive 15.10 effective megapixels
- DIGIC 4 a high precision and high speed 9 point Auto Focus
- Close on 3.4 frames per second continuous shooting (in my book that is impressive).
- Full "manual" control for those hard to judge lighting photographs.
- Image stabilizer on both Lens.
- Live View shooting (you get to see what you are shooting with the screen, not the viewfinder)
- Full! High-Definition movie shooting. Depending on the size of the SD Card your expected recording time may range from 12mins to 1.5 hours. And the battery life may be approximately I hour with the battery fully charged! (now that is impressive)
- There are too many functions to list separately here but just check out the Impressive array situated conveniently on the top of the camera. With clunky fingers like mine, this comes in very handy indeed!
Canon EOS 500D unboxing Check List
The kit I was able to get my hands on was actually a Canon EOS 500D Twin Lens Kit which comes with :
- Canon DS126231 Camera body.
- EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS Lens (Image stabilizer built-in)
- EF-S 55-250mm f4 - 5.6 IS Lens (Image stabilizer also built-in)
- Battery pack and charger.
- Interface cable for downloading images to computer
- Cable, AV (Audio Video for direct connection to Television, they thought of nearly everything!)
- Software for downloading and editing images
- Instruction Manual (unusual these days)
Canon 18-55mm Zoom Lens
The 18-55 mm lens provides a zoom capable of giving you a great close up image without getting too close to the subject.
The image below was taken with the 18-55mm lens at the minimum setting of 18mm.
For your comparison, the image was taken from exactly the same place as the next image!
Lens 18-55mm set at 18mm
Lens 55 - 250 mm Zoom
This 55-250mm Zoom Lens comes as a standard part of the Canon DSLR 500D Kit that was supplied and this is a beautiful lens. The operation and Zoom mechanism is smooth and allows you to get in real close when you need to not be close! Built into the lens is the 'image stabilizer' and it works a treat. Very handy with larger Zoom lenses!
The photograph below was taken from the same position as the photograph above and with the 55-250mm lens fitted to the Canon 500D body. It was set at the maximum Zoom of 250mm to give you some idea of the Zoom effect compared to the smaller 18-55mm Lens.
A nice review of the Canon EOS 500D Camera
Agvulpes Pro's For the Canon 500D DSLR
- Grips and feels like a real camera
- Balance is great even with the longer lens attached
- I love the image stabilizer feature
- Great Video mode
Agvulpes Con's for the Canon 500D DSLR
The Grouches that I can came up with at this time is that there is no SD card supplied with the Camera, you would think that they could throw a small card in to at least get you going?
The other Grouch was that there was no offer of a spare battery which many Camera manufacturers do these days!
Suggested Optional Extras
Extras you may consider buying may include:
- A good quality padded bag for transportation especilly with the 2 lens it gets awkward
- An extra battery for those long shoots
- Extra Cards if you feel the urge to shoot lots of video
- A good quality Tripod
- As well as a tripod I would also suggest a Monopod for ease of setting up on a field trip.
Conclusion and Rating the Canon D500 DSLR Camera
Although at this time I have not had time to test out all of the functions of this Camera I must say I am very impressed with the quality and the ease of handling provided by Canon in the unit.
In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with this Canon EOS 500D Camera as an entry level DSLR especially if you purchase it in the Kit form.
I will be adding to this article as I use more of its functions, so please feel free to Bookmark this and check back on a regular basis!
Post Script on the Canon 500D DSLR
As I said earlier in this article I would be checking out the Nikon D5100. I did so and, because of successful testing, I have actually gone ahead and purchased the Nikon camera! For those that are interested in the test, please stay tuned and I will let you know if I believe I made the correct decision! Believe me, it's a tough call to make, especially when you're spending your own money on it!
Canon or Nikon
Which Company do you rate best for Cameras
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Questions & Answers
© 2010 Peter