How to Decorate Plain Black Luggage With Acrylic Paint
How to Decorate Luggage With Acrylic Paint
Are you tired of trying to find your luggage at the airport baggage claim? I came up with this fun and easy way to dress up your bags using acrylic paint. Try it out for yourself, and you'll find it much easier to find them in the midst of plain black ones!
What You'll Need
- Acrylic paint, in the desired colors
- Good-quality brushes of varying sizes
- A design to reference (ex. pictures of flowers, animals, or whatever you like)
- Black permanent marker
- Container of water
- Paper towels
1. Paint the area you want the image with white acrylic paint. I discovered through trial and error that creating this base helps give your bag a nice smooth surface to paint on and also makes the colors pop. Give the paint about eight hours to dry before painting on the design.
2. Draw your design on the luggage. Use pencil at first to prevent ink from bleeding into the paint. If you can't draw free-hand, use a piece of carbon paper to transfer the design onto the luggage.
3. After you have drawn the design to your liking, start painting with other colors to fill in the design. If you make a mistake or aren't happy with the way it looks, just wait until everything dries and paint over the area to try again.
- Try shading the different elements. For example, paint the entire leaf a medium green. Then, go back over it and lighten up some areas with a lighter green. Add veins in the leaves using a dark green.
- Apply the same technique to the flowers. Paint an entire section and then go back to shade that area.
- Try different designs!
4. I used a black permanent marker to outline the flowers and make lines to emphasize flower markings.
5. After you've painted to your heart's content, make sure to seal everything in with a spray sealant. This can help your design from cracking or getting damaged. Make sure to take care of your luggage, and it should serve you beautifully!