Gummy Removable Glue Used to Attach Credit Cards to Paper

Updated on March 8, 2018
livelonger profile image

Hi, I'm Jason. I've lived around the world and am currently in Northern California. I'm an optimist that loves experiencing new things.

Removable glue dots adhere the card to the paper, but make removal very easy.
Removable glue dots adhere the card to the paper, but make removal very easy.

Have you ever seen that special gummy glue, almost, um, boogerlike (for the lack of a better word), that's used to adhere credit cards to paper when banks mail them to you, or to attach products or special cards on the top of magazine covers?

It's not rubber cement, although it is similar. If you use rubber cement in this instance, it will make a far more permanent bond and you will destroy the paper trying to remove it.

This stuff is easy to remove from both plastic and paper, and can be pulled off and wadded up into a little ball (hence my reference to boogers), leaving the paper and plastic intact and clean.

The stuff is called fugitive glue or fugitive adhesive, and a bit less affectionately known in the adhesive trade as booger glue or snot glue.

Since most users of the stuff are printers, publishers, banks and the like, most of what's available out there are large, industrial-size quantities and expensive application equipment.

However, you can buy a more consumer-friendly version called removable glue dots that have about 1/2" circles of fugitive glue on a spool or sheet of wax paper, so they can be easily applied to whatever surface you'd like them on.

Sometimes you can find them at office supply stores, but I've found more exactly what I'm looking for by buying online, via Amazon or one of their associated merchants.

Be sure to buy the clearly-marked removable kind; they also have more permanent versions available that will not pull off paper and plastic easily at all.

Questions & Answers


      0 of 8192 characters used
      Post Comment

      • profile image

        jen 2 months ago

        i need something like this fugitive glue for my art and painting - not for gluing things down so much, but more for painting over the glue and then removing the glue from the paper to create a perfect white space. In school we used to use cow gum which was perfect for what i need but almost impossible to find now. glue dots won't help. :/

      • profile image

        tipping01 5 years ago

        you can buy from from pack-smart at

      • livelonger profile image

        Jason Menayan 6 years ago from San Francisco

        You're quite welcome. I didn't know, either, which made me search for a long time.

      • profile image

        nse712 6 years ago

        Thank you for posting this! I knew what I was looking for but couldn't find anything like it at any office stores. Now that I know what they're called I'm sure I'll find exactly what I'm looking for.

      • profile image

        Gadget 6 years ago

        Awesome. Only thing can a guy get them in lines instead of dots.

      • profile image

        Andrew 6 years ago

        I've been searching for hours for this stuff. you're suggestion of using the removable glue dots is perfect for my company. Thanks!!

      • sid_candid profile image

        sid_candid 7 years ago

        Excellent hub with great information. Thanks for sharing.

      • Scrapaholic profile image

        Scrapaholic 7 years ago

        I use glue dots all the time! The Dot-N-Go Roller is really my favorite. I love that you can buy disposable rollers so you don't even have to worry about refills (and possibly getting the wrong ones)!

        Have you ever tried using the Xyron? Definitely another one of my favorites.

        Happy Scrapping!

      • livelonger profile image

        Jason Menayan 7 years ago from San Francisco

        Thank you, both! Lyricallor: I had to do some research to find out what the things were called. Did not know you could buy spools of it. :)

        K9keystrokes: You can buy permanent versions of the glue dots, too, which makes crafts easier. Apparently parents prefer it to glue sometimes, since it's much, much cleaner. :)

      • K9keystrokes profile image

        India Arnold 7 years ago from Northern, California

        Gummy removable glue - attaching plastic cards to paper products will come in handy for marketing mailers and a variety of other uses including crafts. Good to know we need to be sure to get the removable type which are marked as such! Wouldn't be very fun to glue something important somewhere forever! Good advice, thank you.

        I also think buying these online is better, as you can always refere to a direct part number or discription, making finding them quite easy and often at a better price.


      • Lyricallor profile image

        Lorna Lorraine 7 years ago from Croydon

        Thank you so much for sharing this. I had no idea that's what it was called.