How to Draw a Compass Rose
How to Paint the Compass Rose
If you want to paint a compass rose, you'll find an easy tutorial to create one of your own below. I designed one on the floor of a swimming pool. It looked really cool from the diving board, but I had to remind the kids that if they dived for the bulls-eye on it, they'd hit the bottom where it sloped up to the shallow end. Not all of them heeded my warning. The rose still looked great, though!
I used a rubber-based paint for this particular product. It used to be a state-of-the-art product, but I couldn't find many color options back then. Today's epoxy-based paints are even tougher and available in any color you want!
1. Draw Two 12' Legs
2. Draw Two More 6' Legs
3. Make Marks at 6" up the 6' Legs
4. Draw the Sides of the Four N/S/E/W Legs to the Marked Points
5. Draw Marks 6" up the Point Edges from the First Marked Points
6. Draw the Sides of the Short Points From the Tip to the New Marks
7. Paint the Left Half of Each Point a Light Color
8. Paint the Right Half of Each Point a Darker Color
To create this lovely pattern, keep these pointers in mind for a successful result!
- Clean and powerwash the floor to prepare the surface. Let it dry for a couple of days.
- Paint the whole floor with a textured paint. This will act as a background.
- Next, mark out the compass as shown in the drawings and draw it on the floor.
- Mask off the left half of each star point and paint it a light color of your choice.
- Use two or three thin coats.Then, use boxcutters to cut the paint away from the masking tape before peeling it.
- Repeat this on the right half of each point and paint it with a complementary color color that is darker.
- After completing the paint job, allow everything to cure for 24 hours (or however long the paint manufacturer recommends). Finish the project by sealing the floor to protect the paint!
Questions & Answers
How to draw the 16 cardinal point?
Just divide each of the 8 points by two and add either single lines or do the way you did with the 4 basic directions to make 8.Helpful 6
I see the drawing has black lines outlining each color segment. Do you recommend doing that in the pool?
You can do it either way. Do the outlines if you want it to pop. If you want it more subtle, you can draw the lines in pencil or chalk and cover it over with the paint. I used a lighter blue so it didn't jump out at you.Helpful 5
Do we have to paint the compass rose when creating it?
You can draw it, but if you want to make it permanent, you probably should paint it on.Helpful 3
Can somebody convert this into metric measurements?
There are plenty of places on the net that let you put in English measurements and converts them to the metric system.
For instance: https://www.metric-conversions.org/length/inches-t...Helpful 2