Loraine enjoys making crafts and sharing the projects she’s developed. Her crafts include pictured, step-by-step tutorials and templates.
What Can I Wear With Barefoot Sandals?
Barefoot sandals, foot jewelry, or toe thongs—call them what you want because they have this in common: They make your feet look beautiful.
This jewelry is worn at the beach, at home, or with lingerie. It's worn at beach weddings and patio parties of all types. You can wear them barefoot or with sandals. See how elegant your bare foot can look by making and wearing foot jewelry!
- Make simple foot jewelry by using seed beads and colored beads.
- Make elegant foot jewelry by using pearls, rhinestones, or beautiful Swarovski crystals.
I'll be showing you an easy way to make fashionable foot jewelry. You'll be able to design your own unique look and do it inexpensively!
What You'll Need
- Clear elastic jewelry thread
- Seed beads: colors of your choice
- Larger beads
- Clear nail polish
Before You Begin
Here are a few tips you should keep in mind before starting this project:
- Buy beads in the colors that you love and enhance the outfit you want to wear.
- Other jewelry threads may work well, but you can thread the seed beads on the clear elastic beading thread without using a beading needle.
- Cut a piece of clear jewelry elastic about 24 inches long. If your shoe size is above size 9, be sure to cut your elastic a few inches longer. You want enough extra beading thread for ease in tying the ends together when the beads are all on.
1. Gather the Supplies
My granddaughter, Alli, her friend, Cami, and Alli's mom, Lisa, came for a vacation from Indiana. We decided to make foot jewelry so we went shopping for some beads to add to the ones I already had on hand. We ended up with quite a variety of beads to choose from!
2. Make the Toe Loop
The toe loop will be made first, so thread on about 48 tiny seed beads. Otherwise, you can use the larger seed beads, but measure the length of beads so you have about 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 inches of beads. Center the beads on the beading thread and hold the ends of the thread together.
3. Start Instep Beading
While holding the ends of the beading thread together, slide on a larger bead over both strings to create the toe loop.
Read More From Feltmagnet
4. Add Beads for the Instep
While holding the two strings together, add beads of your choice until you reach the length you want the instep to be (approximately 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches in length). When the instep beading is the length you wish, separate the two strings and start adding beads on both strings. Add enough beads to reach the back of your foot. Measure this by sliding the toe loop over your second toe and measuring to the back of your foot.
5. Knot the Beading Thread and Apply Glue
When finished beading, tie the beading thread in a double knot. Then, add another couple of knots and put clear nail polish over the knot to seal the knot.
6. You Have Beautiful Foot Jewelry!
If you are making barefoot sandals, you'll want to make another piece to match. Easy to make and fun to wear.
How to Make Hand Jewelry
Hand jewelry is made the same way as the foot jewelry, but these are the changes we made when making the hand jewelry.
- Use about 4 inches of seed beads for the finger loop. Hold the ends of the beading thread together and add a larger bead over both strings to form the finger loop.
- With both strings together, add more beads for over the back of the hand. Measure approximately 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches for the back of the hand. Separate the two threads and add beads to both strings, approximately 3 1/2 inches of beads on each side.
- Measure for your hand by placing the finger loop over your middle finger and have the beaded strings meet at the back of your wrist. Tie the strings in a double knot. Then, knot a couple more times and apply clear nail polish over the knot to seal it.
Questions & Answers
Question: Where can I buy items to make bare foot sandals?
Answer: You can find beads and bead thread at any craft store or Walmart. Also, there are lots of choices through Amazon.
© 2013 Loraine Brummer
Would You Make and Wear Foot or Hand Jewelry? - or leave a comment.
Michelle Lambert from Brighton, QLD Australia on March 29, 2020:
Very cool! I haven't seen these in a while, such a great idea. I love the concept of a bridal pair for a beach wedding.
Tricia Deed from Orlando, Florida on January 24, 2014:
I have made and worn both hand and foot jewelry. Fun, and they make terrific conversation pieces.
RebeccaRubia on July 26, 2013:
Lovely! I will have to give it a try!
CalobrenaOmai on July 09, 2013:
Love the foot jewelry thing. Didn't really know barefoot sandals existed. Became interested after watching some Winx Club episodes from their third season (4Kids version). I would probably be more inclined to create the hand jewelry. Though I would probably create a pair of foot jewelry for my sister; she's the fashionista of the group. Awesome lens, thanks for sharing.
Raymond Eagar on July 09, 2013:
Kim from Yonkers, NY on July 08, 2013:
If they still had the squid angel program.. I'd Blass this lens!Also Thank you for the idea I'll have to try this some time!
JanMay on July 08, 2013:
Wow! Really cool, my nieces are coming over in a few weeks, this will be a great craft to do with them and catch up. Thank you.