Adorable DIY Recycled Book and Magazine Turkey for Thanksgiving
On a visit to the local library last week, I noticed what appeared to be a turkey origami project. The librarians explained that a lady had created the art piece out of an old book. It was really neat and I went home with thoughts of how I could create something similar for my November decor. I decided to use an old book, some magazines, and cardboard to create a recycled book and magazine turkey.
This is a fun and unique craft, but it does take a little time to assemble. Gather up the kids, put on some music and have an enjoyable crafting afternoon. This turkey is perfect as a table centerpiece, or as an addition to your holiday decor.
- An old, hardback book
- Construction paper
- A utility knife
- A pencil and markers
- A ruler
Step 2 - Use Your Ruler
Steps 1 - 3 Get Your Work Space Ready and Mark Your Book
- Lay a piece of cardboard down on a flat surface. Put a page of newspaper over top.
- Open your book. Using your ruler, measure the length of the pages.
Make a mark at the halfway point.
- Draw a line across the width of the page marking your halfway point.
Step 4 - Cut the Pages in Half
Step 4 and 5 - Cut or Rip Half the Pages out of the Book
Steps 4 and 5 - Begin Cutting
4. Using your utility knife, carefully begin cutting the pages in half. You will be cutting through all of the pages of the book. Either cut or rip the bottom half of the pages out of the book. This is best done a little at time. I used the ruler as a guide for my first set of cuts. After that, I used the bulk of the cut pages on the top as a guide for cutting the remaining pages in the book.
5. Set the extra pages aside. Save them for another paper craft.
Steps 6 - 10 - Folding the Pages
6. Remove the cardboard from under your newspaper. Set aside.
7. Lay your book flat, cut side away from you. It should be open in the middle.
8. Begin folding the right side pages. You will take the corner of the page, fold it up and into the center, creating a triangle. Repeat this fold for each page on the right side.
9. You will repeat this on the left side. Fold the corner of each page up and into the center, creating a triangle.
10. This is the body for your turkey.
Step 8 - Fold Each Page on the Right Side into a Triangle
Steps 9 and 10 - Fold each page on the left side into a triangle.
Steps 11 - 14 - Create a Head and Neck for Your Turkey
11. Take the piece of cardboard and draw a turkey head and neck. Cut it out.
12. Cut out a beak from a piece of orange construction paper, or color the beak on the cardboard orange. Remember to do this on both sides of the cardboard.
13. Cut out two waddles from a piece of red construction paper and glue them onto both sides of the turkey. Draw eyes on both sides.
14. Find the middle of your book. Place your turkey head in between the two pages in the middle. Glue or tape the turkey's head in place.
Step 11 - 14 - Make Your Turkey's Head
Steps 16 - 19 - Create Feathers
16. Fold the pages into cone shapes and secure with tape.
17. Glue or tape your cone shapes onto the blank spot of your book to create feathers.
18. You will want to glue or tape your "feathers" together and also to the body of the turkey.
19. Attach as many "feathers" as you would like.
Step 16 and 17 - Roll Magazine Pages into Cone Shapes and Secure onto Book
Step 20 - Your Turkey Is Complete!
20. Your Turkey is complete!
Place your turkey anywhere in your home to add to your Thanksgiving decor, or place it on your table as a fun and unique centerpiece.