Loraine enjoys making crafts and sharing the projects she’s developed. Her crafts include pictured, step-by-step tutorials and templates.
Do You Like to Use Burlap?
I just love the look of burlap. It has that shabby chic look that works with any décor. The burlap and denim Christmas ornaments that I'm sharing with you today are so easy to make and so versatile.
I incorporated denim on some of the ornaments, but I could see using pieces of faux leather or even calico prints to add variety. The basis of the ornament is a three-inch Christmas ball. I used cream or champagne-colored ornaments, but any color can be used to best match the other decorations you have.
What You'll Need
- 3" Christmas balls
- Black Sharpie
- Hot glue
- White glue
- Wings (Pattern)
1. Sparkle Plenty Angel
- Double a piece of denim and cut out two wings using the pattern.
- With the back sides together, glue the two wings together.
- Run a line of white glue around the outer edge of the wing and sprinkle glitter on top. Let dry.
- Cut one strip of burlap 1 1/4"x12" and one strip 1 1/4" x 3". Arrange the long strip into a bow shape. The width of the bow is four inches.
- Fold the short strip in half, wrap around the center of the bow, overlap on the back side of the bow, and glue.
- Using single strands of burlap, fold it back and forth to make hair.
- Glue them to the top of the Christmas ball.
- Glue the bow to the bottom and the wings to the back. With the Sharpie, draw a simple face.
2. Bette Braids Angel
- For the wings, cut a piece of burlap 4 1/2' X 5 1/2". Make two darts in the center to form the wings, and glue to the back of a Christmas ball. Cut two 1 1/2" x 6" pieces of burlap.
- From the bottom of each strip, cut the strip into three sections, leaving the top uncut. Braid the three sections.
- Cut a short piece of burlap and glue to the top of the ball to form bangs. Make loops from a few strands of burlap and glue to each side of the bangs.
- Make little denim bows, or use little buds to glue at the sides of the bangs.
- Glue the braids to the sides of the head. Make a small burlap bow and glue to the bottom of the Christmas ball. With the Sharpie, draw on a face.
3. Billy Beau Angel
- This little boy angel is wearing a cap. To make it, cut out a 2 1/2" circle. Slit the circle up the back and cut out the center (to fit around the hanger of the Christmas ball.)
- Cut a piece of burlap, 1 1/2" x 2", pull out the thread from on side to make bangs for the boy.
- Cut two pieces of burlap 1" x 4", glue to the sides of the boy's bangs, make twists in the strip and glue to the sides of the ball.
- Glue the cap over the bangs, overlapping in the back and around the hanger. I made denim wings, but you can cut them according to the pattern.
- Glue to the back of the ball.
- Make a small bow tie out of burlap or denim and glue to the bottom of the ball. With the black Sharpie, draw a face.
4. Santa Claus
- For Santa's hat, cut a rectangle of burlap 4 1/2" x 12". Fold one long side to the back for a 1 1/2" cuff on the hat. For Santa's beard, cut a rectangle of burlap 2 1/2' X 4".
- Pull threads from the rectangle so only three or four original threads are left. Trim to a beard shape and glue to the Christmas ball.
- Using pulled threads, tie a bunch together with one of the threads to form a mustache and glue above the beard.
- Wrap the hat around Santa's head and glue to the ball.
- Form a tail on Santa's hat and glue.
- Make a tassel and glue to the tail of the hat.
- Draw eyes on Santa.
Burlap Projects From Around the Web
5. Burlap Angels
What a beautiful arrangement is made with the burlap angels. You'll find out how to make them by going to the Painted Apron for the instructions.
6. Precious Christmas Angel
I have found some beautiful burlap Christmas angels that I want to share with you. This precious Christmas angel is so beautiful, and if you'd like to make one like it you'll find the instructions at UNCOMMON designs.
7. Burlap Christmas Angel
You can make a beautiful angel ornament like the one shown above. The tutorial for making this burlap Christmas angel ornament can be found at hometalk.
8. Burlap and Tulle Angel
What a beautiful combination, burlap and tulle, and you get this outstanding angel. Chickens in the Road is the name of the website where you'll find the tutorial for making the burlap and tulle angel.
9. Beautiful Burlap Advent Calendar
10. Clothespin Angels in Burlap
Super simple and a project that crafters of every age will enjoy making. Find the instructions at KayteeJane’s House. This is a perfect project when you need to make a large number of ornaments.
© 2012 Loraine Brummer
Will you make a burlap angel ornament? - or leave a comment.
ComfortsOfHome on December 26, 2012:
So cute! I do like the look of burlap on a tree.
anonymous on December 26, 2012:
so cute..the irresistible smile got me
Gloria Freeman from Alabama USA on December 25, 2012:
These are such cute Burlap Ornaments, thanks for sharing. Congrats on making the front page, blessed by Squid Angel flinnie.
Moe Wood from Eastern Ontario on December 25, 2012:
They are very cute. I especially like the one with the beard.
bestobdii on December 23, 2012:
@Mary Crowther: i like OBD2 it
Kay on December 23, 2012:
I think these are adorable! Merry Christmas to you!
anonymous on December 21, 2012:
Very cute for the Christmas Tree!
GrowthSpark on December 20, 2012:
These are just adorable, I might just have a go...
Neil Spencer from uk on December 20, 2012:
What a great lens this is and a very interesting read ;-)
anonymous on December 20, 2012:
Your lens is pretty cool!
fionaagee42 on December 17, 2012:
I would. Thanks for this lens.
getmoreinfo on December 17, 2012:
These Burlap Angel Ornaments are really cute.
MichaelDubrovnik on December 16, 2012:
No me but the kids would love to. Thanks for sharing
maryseena on December 15, 2012:
Looks nice. May be I will try.
applejacking on December 14, 2012:
Creative décor. Looks simple and easy to make it at home.
SYC2002 on December 14, 2012:
Great lens... beautiful Ornaments... I may think about it.
cleanyoucar on December 14, 2012:
These ornaments look nice! Would like to have one of them
kcsantos on December 14, 2012:
This is very creative. A little twist in our traditional Christmas décor. Thanks!
Benjamynn on December 10, 2012:
These look very cute! Happy holidays! :)
dellgirl on December 09, 2012:
I love all of these Angel and Santa Burlap Ornaments, they're so cute!
fullofshoes on December 06, 2012:
I always love your lenses :)
Itaya Lightbourne from Topeka, KS on December 06, 2012:
They are just adorable! Don't know why I haven't thought of burlap ornaments before. They would look so cute with a country theme Christmas tree. Angel Blessings! :)
myspace9 on December 06, 2012:
I love it, very cute, nice lens.
anne mohanraj on December 05, 2012:
JodiFromFlorida on December 05, 2012:
Love the ornaments!
tahirmahmood on December 05, 2012:
mecheshier on December 04, 2012:
These are adorable. The ornaments are so cute. :-)
KarenTBTEN on December 04, 2012:
The faces are cute.
Bob from Kansas City on December 03, 2012:
Awesome ideas... what a great lens!!
stephiy on December 03, 2012:
Very cute lens :) The ornaments are just darling!
Ruthi on December 02, 2012:
Your delightful burlap ornaments give new meaning to Happy Holidays!
Mary Crowther from Havre de Grace on December 02, 2012:
So cute and I love the happy, happy faces!