Recycled Old T-Shirt Craft Ideas: Clothing and Accessory Projects
What clothing and accessories can you make with old t-shirts?
Recycled T-Shirt Projects
bangles and bracelets
Do you have old t-shirts laying around that you don't wear anymore? Do you have outgrown kids clothing that you aren't ready to part with yet? Consider taking a few t-shirts and recycling them into craft projects. From bracelets to headbands to sandals, there are a number of ways that you can recycle old t-shirts into fashionable clothing and accessories for a wide variety of ages. There is a wide mix of sew and no sew tutorials here with something for everyone. Happy crafting!
- How to Make a Mixed Metal Bracelet: Easy Jewelry Tutorial
Do you enjoy learning how to make bracelets? This tutorial for a mixed metal bracelet is a fun, easy jewelry idea.
- How to Make Bracelets: 10 Easy Tutorials
Are you looking for an easy bracelet tutorial? This article has 10 easy tutorials, complete with photos and lots of resources.
Bangles and Bracelets
- Jersey Rosette Bracelet. Do you enjoy making fabric flowers? The next time you are recycling a t-shirt, save a few scraps to make a bracelet with fabric flowers. This tutorial includes great instructions for constructing a sturdy backing and clasp.
- Braided bangles. These bangles are fun, easy, and look great stacked. Make a handful in a single setting and then layer them as you like for different outfits.
- Six strand braided bangle with charms. A six strand braid is another simple option for switching up the traditional braid. Charms will add a perfect visual element as well as texture.
- Embellished beaded bracelets. Tricia has several simple techniques for giving new life to simple inexpensive beaded bracelets with t-shirt fabric.
DIY T-Scarf Tutorial
Join the infinity scarf trend by making one of your own out of a recycled t-shirt.
- Necklace/Scarf from Compai Design Studio. I love the chunky knotted aesthetic of this tutorial. One of the photos includes a layered look with two different scarves, which is also a great option.
- Long infinity scarf. Create a long scarf that you can loop one or two times.
- No sew infinity scarf. Keep it short and stringy in the best way possible.
- Knit scarf. Go crazy with little strips of fabric for this one.
- No sew circle cut scarf. It couldn't be much easier than cutting spirals of fabric and tying them together.
T-shirt skirts are a casual wardrobe staple for girls and women throughout the spring and the summer. They are extremely comfortable, making them an ideal choice for school and work. They are also dressy enough for church, birthday parties, and showers.
- Shirt Skirt with Shirred Top. Melissa has a relatively simple tutorial for turning a man's shirt into a skirt with a fun, shirred top. Once you've mastered the shirring technique, you'll be churning these out for all of your friends and family.
- Ruffle T-Shirt Skirt. Create a t-shirt skirt with a wide band at the top in a contrasting color, a fabric flower, and a slight ruffle at the bottom. This is such a versatile, fun piece.
- T-shirt Tutu. This is a great choice for little girls but versatile enough for teenagers and women, too. I love the multicolored skirt in the tutorial, but of course you can stick with a monochromatic palette, too.
- Braided belt. This concept is pretty self-explanatory. The tutorial will help you with the finer details of securing the braided ends and attaching the belt hardware. You can customize this braided design for bracelets and headbands.
T-Shirt Reincarnation: Yoga Pants
- Yoga Pants from My Thrifty Chic. Instead of pitching a couple t-shirts that you don't want to wear anymore, transform them into a new pair of yoga pants. They are perfect for sleeping, working out, cleaning, or lounging around the house.
- Are Cardigans In Style?
- Wardrobe Staples for the Young Woman in the Working World
This hub details wardrobe staples for young woman in the working world. I've included lots of links for clothing tips and clothing stores as well as other resources.
Shrugs and Embellished Shirts
Sometimes people aren't ready to give up a t-shirt as a garment but instead are looking for options to give it a makeover. There are a number great methods for bringing new life to an old t-shirt.
- T-shirt shrug. No one will believe that this chic shrug was originally a t-shirt. It'll dress up any number of different outfits.
- Squeezebox t-shirt. You'll get the comfort of a regular t-shirt with a beautiful ruffled front.
- Ruffle flower tank. Transform a plain t-shirt into a girly top with a ruffled neckline and fabric flowers.
- Sweetheart bow t-shirt. A large bow on the front of your shirt will keep you feeling special all day.
- T-shirt refashioned into a tank top. This tank top has beautiful feminine sleeves and a bow.
- Spring t-shirt. Create a top that is perfect for spring with a ruffled neckline and partially ruffled front.
- T-shirt flip flops. Do you avoid wearing flip flops because you don't find them comfortable? This is a great way to makeover an old pair that you don't wear anymore. The best part is that you can customize it to maximize the comfort factor.
- Turban headband. A turban headband is quick and stylish for a variety of simple hairstyles. You'll look pulled together in just a few minutes time with one of these headbands.
- T-shirt sleeve headband. You don't even need a sewing machine to put this one together. A couple fabric flowers are a perfect option for hiding the seem.
- Spring/ Summer 2016 Headwear Trends | fashionisers.com
We are inviting you to collectively make a tour through the spring 2016 lineups to learn about the main spring/ summer 2016 headwear trends and not only.
- T-Shirt Baseball Cap. Who knew that you could make a hat out of a t-shirt? Kalleen has made a handful of them, giving you lots of photo examples to view before you begin to construct your own.
How to Make a T-Shirt Bag
If you have t-shirts with logos that you want to preserve, bags are a great choice.
- Fastest recycled t-shirt tote bag. This tutorial has great step by step photos that will make the project go quickly.
- T-shirt produce bag. Capture the look of a crochet product bag with this simple tutorial. Delia gives a number of customization options with photo examples.
- T-shirt grocery bag from Martha Stewart. This is another simple t-shirt bag that you can use for your next grocery store trip or other shopping excursion.
- T-shirt bag. This bag features two patterned t-shirts and a design on the front. No one will ever believe that you whipped it up at home in an afternoon.
If you don't have any t-shirts at home that you want to re-purpose, pick up some secondhand shirts.
More recycled materials craft ideas from the author.
- Uses for Wine Corks: Crafts, Home Décor Projects, Garden Ideas, and More
This article is about uses for wine corks. It includes a wide variety of photos, tutorials, and other resources for crafts, home décor projects, garden ideas, and much more. There is something here for everyone.
- Ways to Reuse Empty Pill Bottles: Crafts, Ideas, and More
This article is about ways to reuse empty pill bottles. It includes basic ways to reuse and recycle them as well as craft projects with pill bottles. There are lots of photos, links, and other resources.
- Junk Mail Crafts: How to Make Unique Projects With Recycled Paper
This article is about junk mail crafts. There are a wide variety of unique projects to make with recycled paper including stationery products, wall art, jewelry, and home décor. There are lots of photos and resources.