How To Make Tissue Paper Flowers For Decoration
Make Tissue Paper Flowers
Tissue paper flowers are not only easy to make but they make fantastic decorations for weddings, birthday parties and even unique décor for your home.
With a couple of simple elements, you can create colorful flowers in all different shapes and sizes and suspend them from your ceiling, create flower bouquets with them or make your own vase of ever-lasting floral art.
This is a great activity to get the kids involved in and they only take minutes to make. They are safe, virtually indestructible and can be reused over and over. This makes for a fantastic decoration.
What Will You Need
To make tissue paper flowers you will need:
- Colored Tissue Paper - use any colors you like to match your theme or decorations
- Pipe Cleaners - try to get matching ones to the colored tissue paper you select
- A pair of scissors
- Fishing line or invisible nylon
Instructions For Making Tissue Paper Flowers
Step 1: Open your packet of tissue paper and lay about 5 sheets on top of each other flat on the table. You can stick to one colour or place a mixture of colors if you want a multi-colored flower. Cut a rectangle shape approx 30cm x 20cm
Step 2: Starting closest to you, fold the paper up about 5cm wide. Similar to a fan. Turn it over and fold up again. In a concertina type manner until it is all folded.
Step 3: Take a matching colored pipe cleaner and wrap it around the centre of your folded paper. With scissors, cut one end into a point.
Step 4: Cut the other side of the folded paper into a point.
Step 5: Gently fan open the paper folds, starting with the outside layer and work your way in. One by one separate each sheet of folded tissue paper from each other. Don't worry if it rips a little.
Step 6: Once you have completed opening one side, repeat on the other side and you will have yourself one ball of tissue paper. Continue to open and rearrange the tissue paper until you have a ball shape.
Display and Arrange Tissue Paper Flowers
Now that you have made one flower, continue to make them in any color that you want and you can adjust your initial tissue paper rectangle size to make larger or smaller flowers. If the tissue paper is too large to start with you may find that the flower does not have enough strength and it may not hold properly. If you make them too small, they will look like little pom poms. Which is fine if that is what you are wanting.
There are many ways to decorate a party of a function with your paper flowers. Here are some ideas:
- Tie invisible nylon around the centre of the flower and suspend them from the ceiling. Group different size flowers and different colors for a clever effect.
- Poke a chopstick or skewer through the centre and place them into a vase like floral display.
- Get some small pot plant tubs, half fill with sand and then cover with decorating pebbles and place your flowers on the end of skewers or chopsticks and poke them in like a flower stem. Tip: For greater effect, wrap a little green tissue paper around the base of each flower to resemble green leaves.
- Bouquet - attach longer pipe cleaners to the centre of each flower and assemble like a bunch of flowers. Use different size flowers for a unique effect.