How to Make Wire Bookmarks: A DIY Craft
Wire Bookmarks Are Easy to Make!
You can learn how to make wire bookmarks with this guide. They are a fun and easy craft project that don't take any complicated tools or special knowledge. If you already know how to make wire bookmarks, you might be able to pick up some tips.
These wire bookmarks are functional, easy to make, and inexpensive. I created these for my wife as a gift. The bookmarks make a great gift for anyone who still likes to read old-fashioned books. Customize them to your own ideas. Each one will cost you just a few cents to make. All you need is wire and needle-nose pliers.
What You'll Need
- Roll of Wire
- Needle-Nose Pliers
How to Make Wire Bookmarks
- Cut a piece of wire about 10 inches long with your needle-nose pliers.
- Pinch one end with the tip of the pliers. Twist the wire around the end of the closed pliers.
- Once you made a few good twists around the pliers, pull them out and flatten the wire twist to turn it into a spiral.
- Repeat the process at the other end of the wire. Flatten it down, and make it perpendicular to the first. This is so that one spiral will be inside the book and one will rest on the outside of the book’s spine. To get a neat effect, you can hammer the wire flat.
- Grab a book and wrap the straight part over the top and down the spine. It is a good idea to put less of a pattern on the outside of the book spine and more pattern inside the book. This helps balance the bookmark as it naturally hangs on the page it is marking.
How to Perfect a Wire Spiral
Wire Bookmark Designs
The bookmarks stay in books well because they are basically clips that run down the spine. You can make the design as elaborate as you want by twisting it in different directions. You can give the outside part some 3-D effects, attach beads, or paint them. There are many ways to customize this project. Let me know if you try this and come up with new ideas!
What Are the Benefits of Wire Bookmarks?
Wire bookmarks have some advantages over other types of bookmarks that are made out of cardboard, paper, or even plastic.
- Durable: Wire is extremely strong and durable when compared to other materials that you might use to keep your page in a good book.
- Stylish: Wire bookmarks look better than plain paper clips and can be taken out of the book.
- Fun to Make: Wire is fun to work because of the bending and ability to get creative with a simple material.
- Inexpensive: If wire is bought at a department store from a hardware department, a large amount can be bought at once.