Some paper creations make your day better while some others help to lift you broken mood. Here is one that does both. Just give it a try!
How to Make a Boat Out of Paper
The rainy season without an umbrella and a paper boat can be unbearably dreary for kids. However, making a paper boat can add a little joy to their day. Every now and then, you can find kids folding boats out of paper and sailing them on puddles. Learn how to put one together yourself, and have fun trying them on the water!
What You'll Need
- A4 Paper
- Black Marker
Here's how to put a paper boat together.
Step 1: Take the paper sheet and fold it in the middle.
2. Make folds from each of the corners so they meet in the middle.
3. Create a fold in the open lip.
4. Repeat the same fold on the other side.
5. Fold the corners of the lip inwards.
Read More From Feltmagnet
6. Repeat to the other lip.
You should have this triangular-shaped paper.
7. Gently separate the lower part of the triangle.
8. Fold the lowest corner to the horizontal mid-line.
9. Separate the lower lips gently, and bring the corners to the middle.
10. Open the upper part of the corners to make the boat!
11. Gently expand the boat's sides to make it stand upright.
You Made a Boat!
Your paper boat can be customized just by switching the colored paper you use. You can also decorate the paper with crayons or sketch pens before making the craft.
How to Make a Flag
You can also decorate the paper boat with a flag. You can use different colors or images to put one together. I decided to use a pirate ship symbol, and here are the steps below.
1. Get a matchstick or toothpick to use as the flag handle.
2. Draw a triangle that's the size of the matchstick.
3. Draw a pirate symbol with the skull and swords.
4. Color the rest of the flag using a black marker.
5. Cut out the flag.
6. Glue the flag to the matchstick.
7. Glue the flag to the boat.
Here is a video to make the paper boat
Fun Boat Facts
- The world’s largest cruise ship, Harmony of the Seas, measures in at 226,963 gross tonnes.
- The largest ships are the same height as 16-story buildings.
- The original Titanic would be barely half the size of most modern cruise ships.
- The pirates had many superstitions. Pirates wore pierced earrings because they believed it would improve their eyesight. They also believed that having women on board their ship was bad luck and that whistling on a ship would cause the weather to turn stormy.
- The Jolly Roger Flag was designed to be scary, with its black background, white skull, and crossbones. However, it was not used by all pirate ships.
- The Pesse canoe is believed to be the world's oldest known boat. Its carbon dating shows that it was created between 8040 BCE and 7510 BCE.
Questions & Answers
Question: Does the paper pirate boat float on water?
Answer: Yes, it does.
Question: Where was the Pesse canoe made in?
Answer: The boat was found in 1955 during the creation of the Dutch A28 motorway.The motorway is south of the village of Pesse in Hoogeveen (source Wikipedia)
Question: How much time does this paper boat float on water?
Answer: It is hard to say that. However, the boat will stay afloat for a longer time if it is not raining and the upper part of the boat is dry.
Question: Does the bottom of the boat have to be open or flat?
Answer: The bottom of the boat has to be open so that it can float nicely in water.
Question: Does it shrink in the water?
Answer: Yes, since paper was used to make the boat, it will shrink after some time. (paper absorbs water)
© 2018 Aditya Chakrabarty
sony wizkid on September 13, 2020:
Holly White on December 14, 2019:
There is another way easier to make it
monte on November 12, 2019:
it was fun
Himanshu.meena on August 02, 2019:
Jayashreya on May 09, 2019:
Your boat is very super . Be allthebest
Priya on May 06, 2019:
Intersting method thanks
Anjali on March 15, 2019:
A great method thank you