How to Make a Duct Tape Flower
Create a Bouquet of Duct Tape Blooms!
Duct tape flowers are great to decorate your pens or make a bunch to put on straws to share with friends. They make a terrific gift for teachers or a business that needs to loan out pens for people to sign things. People don't stick a flower pen in their purse by mistake! They are also a lot of fun for kids to use. My daughter, Sophie, has been teaching all her friends how to make them. She also designed a tote bag using the same folding technique.
What You'll Need
- Duct Tape: Choose the petal colors, green, and brown. Nowadays, duct tape comes in all sorts of fun colors and patterns. Most of the time, my girls like to make the flowers out of plain colors, but you can experiment with the tie-dye duct tape or the mustache duct tape to fit your mood.
- Scissors: Duct tape can actually be torn along the lines, but having scissors makes it easier. You need pieces about 2" by 2" for each flower petal, which means you will cut pieces which are as long as the duct tape is wide. You can use a ruler to measure or just eyeball it like Sophie does.
- Pens/Straws: Any sort of pen will do except for retractable ones because the flower covers up the clicking mechanism. You can also make duct tape flowers to top pencils.
1. Cut a 2" Piece of Duct Tape
2. Fold a Triangle
Put the duct tape down sticky side up. Fold down one corner 2/3 down. Leave about 1/3 inch sticky stuff showing at the bottom.
3. Fold the Left Corner
Fold the oposite corner down to match it. There should be a triangle at the top and a strip of sticky stuff at the bottom.
4. Fold the Petal Around the Pen
Put the petal on the pen (or straw or pencil top) with the point up.
5. Fold a Second Petal
Make another petal and put it opposite the first one.
6. Continue Adding Petals
Keep on making and adding petals until you think your rose is done. Usually, it takes at least eight petals.
7. Continue Filling the Bloom
8. Make the Stem
Make a stem on your duct tape flower by wrapping the pen, pencil, or straw with green duct tape. Be careful not to wrap the place where the pen cap goes on.
Meaning of Rose Colors
Beauty, Courage, Respect, Congratulations
Love and Marriage, New Beginnings
Thank you, Sympathy
Joy, Friendship, Remember me
Let's get together, Close the deal
I care, Good Luck
Courage and Resistance
Duct Tape Flower Gift Ideas
- Teacher: Give several flowers to your teacher in a can covered with duct tape. Maybe make them in your school colors!
- Businesses: Make some flowers in a jar or can for a business or office that needs to have people sign things. If your aunt has a small business, this can be a great gift for her.
- Friend: Make a bouquet of rose pens for a friend for a friend's birthday or as a cheer-up gift if they have been sick.
- Yourself: Never lose your pen again if you decorate it with a duct tape flower!
Try Different Duct Tape Flower Ideas!
You can experiment with different colors and patterns of tape, and you can also try making these variations:
- Make bigger petals by folding the tape in half and rounding the corners with scissors.
- Make a realistic rose by forming larger petals as you move out and mold them with your scissors and your hands.