Kristin obtained a BA in English Literature and an MA in teaching. Currently teaches English Lit and ESL at an International High School.
After looking at the cute bow keychains that are sold for cheer gifts, I realized that I could make these for a lot less than five dollars each. I've made full-size cheer bows before, so these keychains are a snap. These bow keychains are great presents for cheerleaders, and it takes less than five minutes to make one! They are really cost effective too. I usually buy the supplies when I have some coupons.
I find that the fabric store has better ribbon options than the craft store. The fabric store also sells other products that are needed to construct these bows. I can usually construct enough bows for around 20 dollars.
If you are planning to make these in advance, I do recommend that you purchase small sized zip ties and bulk keychains from Amazon. If you purchase the keychains in the store, they cost about five dollars for two, which defeats the purpose of making them yourself.
For this project you will need:
- 1 1/2 inch wide ribbon
- 3/8 inch wide ribbon in a contrasting color
- zip ties
- PeelnStick Fabric Fuse in 3/8 inch or Dritz Double-sided Clear Adhesive Tape
- Key rings
- Fray Check/Guard
- Cut about a 10 inch piece of the 1 1/2 inch ribbon.
- Cross one end of the ribbon over the other to make an x.
- Pinch everything together at the middle to form the bow.
- Slide the keychain on to the zip tie.
- Wrap the zip tie around the middle of the bow.
- Pull the zip tie through to secure it and to hold the bow together.
- The keychain should not be in place in the back of the bow.
- Cut off the excess plastic.
- Cut a small piece of the 3/8 ribbon.
- Apply the double-sided adhesive to the back of the 3/8 ribbon.
- Peel away the adhesive protective coating.
- Wrap the ribbon around the middle of the bow, covering the zip tie.
- Cut the bow ends in the desired style.
This example is a V-notch style. You can make a V-shaped stencil out of cardboard to help you cut perfect Vs.
You may also choose to cut your bow ends on a slant.
- Use the Fray Check to seal the ends of the bow so that they do not unravel.
You should now have a completed bow keychain!