How to Make Magical Fairy Bed With Modeling Clay
How to Make a Fairy Bed
If you are making a Fairy House, then you will need to make some furniture as well. This article shows you how to make the beds from clay.
I have given step-by-step instructions with photographs so that you can create your own awesome beds.
- Air dry clay
- Sharp scissors or blade
- Acrylic paint – two colours
- Glue gun and sticks
- Small roller
Fairy House Furniture
Decide the size of the bed you are going to make to fit your fairy house
The ones I made here are four inches by one and a half inches.
Step One—Cutting the Clay to Size
- Cut a piece of clay measuring approx five inches by one and a half inches from the main block.
- Cut another piece for the legs and bed cover
- Wrap the main block up and make airtight before you begin to work with the cut piece
- Cut a small piece at one end to make the pillow.
- To make it look more realistic leave some creases in it.
- Put this aside to dry.
- Use the main piece to make the mattress. It is up to you how thick you want it to be
- The legs do not need to be fancy as they will not be seen
- Cut two small pieces to go across the mattress at each end
- Stick these to the bed with a tiny bit of water
Step Two—Making the Cover and Pillow
- Take a smaller piece and roll out so it is very thin
- Put the mattress on top of it in the middle
- Cut around the clay leaving enough room so the cover will fall over the mattress when it is made
- Place the cover on top of the mattress to shape it
- Bend the top over to make it look more like a bed cover
- Have a look at the photo to see how I shaped mine. The creases make it look very realistic
- When you are satisfied with how it is, add the pillow
- Shape this to the size you want
Step Three—Drying Out the Clay
- Separate the mattress and pillow. Cover and put aside to dry.
- Be careful to keep the shape of the cover as you want it.
- Drying will take about twenty-four to thirty-six hours depending on the heat of the room.
- It is also best to turn the pieces over half way through the drying process.
Step Four—Painting the Bed
- It is easier to paint the bed before you glue it together. This way helps you avoid getting paint where it does not belong
- Only paint the parts that will be seen because the rest will be glued together
- Two contrasting colours will give you the best effect
I used white for the part of the mattress that will be showing once the cover is on to give the impression it is a white sheet
I also used the same colour for the part of the cover that is turned over. This also looks like it is a sheet that is under the cover
- Paint the top of the cover a contrasting bright colour and use this to paint the top of the pillow too
- It is best to make sure you have the sides of both of these painted properly because it will be very messy once they are stuck on.
- Leave to dry completely before continuing
Step Five—Gluing It All Together
- Glue the cover to the mattress.
- Do the same to the pillow.
- Place in your fairy house.