How to Make a Miniature Fairy Bed With Modeling Clay
How to Make a Fairy Bed
If you are making a fairy house, then you will need to make some miniature furniture as well. I will show you how to make a bed with covers and a pillow from modeling clay.
What You'll Need
- Air-dry clay
- Sharp scissors or blade
- Acrylic paint in two colours
- Glue gun and sticks
- Small roller
Step One: Cut the Clay to Size
Decide the size of the bed you are going to make to fit your fairy house. The ones I made here are four inches by one and a half inches. Cut a piece of clay measuring approx five inches by one and a half inches from the main block.
- Cut another piece to make the legs and bed cover.
- Wrap the main block up and make it airtight before you begin to work with the cut piece.
Making the Pillow
- Cut a small piece at one end to make the pillow.
- To make it look more realistic leave some creases in it.
- Put this aside to dry.
Making the Mattress
- Use the main piece to make the mattress. It is up to you how thick you want it to be
- The legs do not need to be fancy as they will not be seen
- Cut two small pieces to go across the mattress at each end
- Stick these to the bed with a tiny bit of water
Step Two: Make the Cover and Pillow
- Take a smaller piece and roll out so it is very thin.
- Put the mattress on top of it in the middle.
- Cut around the clay, leaving enough room so the cover will fall over the mattress when it is made.
- Place the cover on top of the mattress to shape it.
- Bend the top over to make it look more like a bed cover.
- Have a look at the photo to see how I shaped mine. The creases make it look very realistic.
- When you are satisfied with how it is, add the pillow.
- Shape this to the size you want.
Step Three: Dry Out the Clay
- Separate the mattress and pillow. Cover and put aside to dry.
- Be careful to keep the shape of the cover as you want it.
- Drying will take about twenty-four to thirty-six hours depending on the heat of the room.
- It is best to turn the pieces over halfway through the drying process.
Step Four: Paint the Bed
It is easier to paint the bed before you glue it together. This way helps you avoid getting paint where it does not belong.
1. Only paint the parts that will be seen because the rest will be glued together.
- Two contrasting colours will give you the best effect.
- I used white for the part of the mattress that will be showing once the cover is on to give the impression it is a white sheet.
- I also used the same colour for the part of the cover that is turned over. This also looks like it is a sheet that is under the cover.
- Paint the top of the cover a contrasting bright colour and use this to paint the top of the pillow too
- It is best to make sure you have the sides of both of these painted properly because it will be very messy once they are stuck on.
2. Leave to dry completely before continuing to the next step.
Step Five: Glue The Bed
- Glue the cover to the mattress. Do the same with the pillow.
- Place the furniture in your fairy house.