How to Decorate With Paper Mache and Wooden Letters
Customize Your Décor With Words and Letters
If you are looking for a creative idea for a child's nursery or want to bring a warm touch to your home's interior, decoupaged words and letters are a great option. Whether you choose wooden letters, paper mache words, or a wooden cut out from a craft store, you can easily customize them to match your home décor. Letters come in many styles and sizes, so you can spell anything imaginable. This project also makes a great gift for babies, newlyweds, and grandparents!
What You'll Need:
- Wood or paper mache letters or words of your choice
- Mod Podge or other water-based glue (You can choose matte or high gloss.)
- Acrylic paint in your choice of color
- Scrapbook paper, wrapping paper, or fabric to cover the letter or word
- Brushes- one to apply glue and one to apply paint
- A utility knife, kitchen knife, or rotary blade
1. Paint the sides and edges of the word or letter with acrylic paint that matches the paper or fabric you select. Cover well and let dry. If the first coat soaks in or looks patchy, add a second coat to get an even and colorful finish. (You don't need to worry about getting paint on the rest of the letters as this will be covered up with paper).
2. Cut a piece of paper or fabric to lay over your letter. Make sure it is long enough to slightly drape over the edge of your letter. Apply a medium to thick coat of Mod Podge or other white glue with a sponge brush to the letter you are decorating. Apply the paper and smooth out any bubbles. Allow this to dry for about 10 minutes.
3. Use a rotary or utility knife to trim the paper or fabric to mold to the letter. Do this to each letter in a word or to a letter. If you have ragged edges, you can lightly sand them with fine or medium grade sandpaper. If using sandpaper on paper mache, use light pressure to avoid damage to the letter.
4. When all the letters are papered, apply a coat of Mod Podge Decoupage Sealant to the entire word or letter. Allow the sealant to dry.
5. When the front is done, repeat these steps to complete the back of the word or letter. If you don't want to decorate the back, you can paint it instead.
6. When the decoupage word or letter is complete, it is time to embellish it. You can add ribbons, paper flowers, or any other embellishment to suit your style.
7. Hang and enjoy!