Supermom with a passion for DIY home projects and creative crafts.
Have You Ever Run Out of Playdough?
"Mom! We need more playdough!" Never fear, Super Mom is here! Be your kids' hero! Amaze your children as they watch you make your own homemade playdough like magic right before their eyes in your kitchen!
It's quick and easy. In no time at all, you and your kids will be having hours of fun making so many things with your homemade playdough. The possibilities are endless! Keep reading for ideas on all the things you can make with your playdough creativity!
Gather the Ingredients and Supplies
Ingredients and Supplies
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups salt
- 6 tsp cream of tartar
- 3 cups cool water
- 3 Tbsp. oil
- food coloring
- large cooking pot
- parchment paper or wax paper
- ziplock sandwich bags
- airtight containers
5 Easy Steps to Homemade Playdough
- Combine the dry ingredients in the large cooking pot. Then add the liquid ingredients to the pot. Stir all the ingredients together to combine.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for about five minutes.
- Remove from heat when dough pulls away from the sides of the pot and can be pinched without sticking. Turn dough onto a cutting board or countertop that is covered with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Knead the dough until smooth and play dough consistency.
- Add food coloring or leave it plain. Done! It's ready for play time! After play time, your homemade playdough should be stored in airtight containers to keep it from drying out.
Separate the Dough Into Equal Sized Pieces
2 Different Types of Food Coloring for Homemade Playdough
- Standard food coloring comes in little bottles. They usually come in a box of four bottles in four basic colors, such as red, blue, yellow, and green. These colors work just fine, and make the dough muted color tones.
- Cake icing gel food coloring comes in little tubes that look like toothpaste tubes. This kind of food coloring is available in a wider array of colors that allow you to make more intense basic colors and more interesting colors like deep purple, hot pink, lime green, royal blue, orange, and even black! The cake icing gel is available in stores where the cake decorating supplies are sold.
Read More From Feltmagnet
Add Food Coloring
12 Tips on Adding Food Coloring to Your Homemade Playdough
- Separate the cooled dough into individual equal-sized pieces to match the number of colors you intend to use.
- Form the separated pieces of dough into balls by rolling each piece between the palms of your hands in a circular motion.
- Slightly flatten the balls by pressing them with the palm of your hand.
- Press each flattened dough ball with your finger or thumb to create an indent to hold the food coloring.
- Place each flattened dough ball into its own ziplock sandwich bag to keep the process from being too messy.
- If you are using the cake icing coloring that comes in tubes, reach into the sandwich bag and squeeze the food coloring from the tube into the little indented well you made in the dough.
- If you are using the standard food coloring bottles, reach into the sandwich bag and add several drops of food coloring into the little indented well you made in the dough.
- Through the bag, pinch the dough indent closed over the food coloring.
- Now, with the dough still in the bag, squeeze and twist the dough, folding it over itself to mix the food coloring into the dough.
- Continue kneading the dough inside the bag until the food coloring is thoroughly mixed into the dough and is a smooth, consistent color throughout the dough.
- Repeat the steps above for each dough ball using the other colors until all the dough is colored as desired.
- Once you and your kids are done playing with it, the playdough should be stored in airtight containers where it should last for several weeks and many more hours of play time!
|5 Simple Ingredients||5 Easy Steps||5 Tips to Remember|
3 cups flour
use cake icing food coloring
1 1/2 cups salt
cook over medium heat
let the dough cool
6 tsp cream of tartar
remove from heat
separate the dough
3 cups cool water
knead the dough
put dough into sandwich bags to mix the color into the dough
3 Tbsp oil
add food coloring
store dough in airtight containers
Store in Airtight Containers
Now That You Know How to Make Your Own Playdough . . .
You never have to run out of playdough again! Just think of the many hours ahead of you watching your kids happily playing with playdough. Think of all the wonderful things they will make!
Playing with playdough is a great activity for toddlers and older children, too. Play dough provides a tactile experience and helps toddlers develop fine motor skills as they practice making things with their hands. All ages benefit from the creativity and self expression provided by making things with play dough. What will you make?
If you run out of ideas of what to make with your homemade playdough, be sure to check out the videos below for more ideas of what to make!