How to Make Nail Polish Jewelry
Fast and Affordable Jewelry with Nail Polish
Making jewelry with nail polish is fast, inexpensive, and an easy way to add some flair to your jewelry collection. By using crackle nail polish, you can create rings, bracelets, necklaces, key chains, purse ornaments, and book marks in custom designs and colors that you choose. This jewelry is created by painting the flat side of cabochon stones with a clear top coat and various coats and colors of crackle nail polish. The design is then painted with black crackle polish to give the stone a "mirror" finish. The result is a beautiful "stone" that looks as if it has a beautiful glow from within and many compliments for you.
Nail polish rings look fabulous when you wear them with matching nail polish. Finished pieces make great gifts for you or someone special. Nail polish jewelry is a very fun and addictive craft!
Supplies Needed for Nail Polish Jewelry
- Clear Cabochon Stones (available in jeweler's grade online at Etsy or at any craft store. These can be made using the floral beads in floral department at Walmart or the Dollar Store. If using these, check the quality of them before your paint your stone as some of them may be chipped.).
- Crackle Nail Polish in several colors including black to line the bottom of the stone.
- One bottle of regular, clear lacquer nail polish. Opi is the leading brand of all nail polishes.
- Jewelry finding for your specific piece. These can be purchased at craft stores such as Hobby Lobby, AC Moore, and Michaels. Findings are the actual jewelry structure in which you will place your stone such as a ring, necklace pendant, bracelet, or key ring. Jewelry findings come in many styles and quality may vary. If you plan on wearing your piece of jewelry, consider getting a sturdy, high quality finding for a setting.
- Glue gun with high temperature glue sticks or superglue.
- Tape to hold stone in place while painting.
Instructions on Making Nail Polish Jewelry
- Fold a piece of tape around your finger so it is sticky on all sides. Place it on a clean workspace that is prepared for painting.
- Place the the clear cabochon stone onto the tape so it stays in place as you paint it. Make sure the flat side is facing up. This is the side of the stone that will be painted.
- Coat the flat side of the cabochon stone with an even thin coat of clear nail polish. Allow the polish to dry for at least ten minutes. If you are using crackle nail polish on your stone, you must coat it first with clear polish. Crackle polish activates when it is used on nail polish,
- Coat the stone with your favorite shades of crackle polish in any design you desire. Experiment with patterns and abstract applications. This will be the design that shows through your jewelry. (Sparkle nail polish looks exceptionally pretty!) Let the design dry completely. Allow extra drying time for thick paint.
- Coat the back of the stone with black nail polish. This will help your design to show through and give the stone a mirror effect from the top. This will also prevent the glue from showing through once you glue it to the finding. Allow this coat to dry.
- When you are certain the nail polish is dry and hardened, glue the cabochon stone to the finding. A high temperature glue is best for securing the stone to the finding but you can also use craft glue or super glue. Allow the glue to dry before wearing your new jewelry.
Detailed Step by Step Instructions
Other Great Craft Ideas
- How to Make Resin Seashell Jewelry: Crafts with Seashells
A detailed picture tutorial on how to make beautiful seashell jewelry with resin.
- Make a Vintage Style Inspired Decoupage Wooden Tray
A guide on how to make a vintage wooden serving tray with decoupage scrapbook paper. Also includes guides on how to refinish wood and metal antiques for beginners.