Connie is a compulsive crafter who loves making her own packaging for crafts and gifts out of recycled material.
This article includes instructions and photos to help you make a simple box with a folding lid out of cardstock. The process is fairly straightforward and only involves a few simple cuts and folds. I use an 8" by 10" piece of cardstock, which yields a box about 3.5" wide by 4" long by 1" deep.
Once you have the basic principles down, you can easily adjust the formula to make other sizes. I've also included a free template (linked below in the supplies section) to help explain where to mark lines and where to cut. When marking out the fold lines, use a pencil and do so lightly. The lines are on the inside, but some will still show if they are too dark. For the photos in this article, I made the lines dark so they would be more visible.
- 8" x 10" sheet of cardstock (one per box)
- X-Acto knife or scissors
To turn your sheet of cardstock into a gift box with a folding lid, follow the instructions below and use the included images as a visual guide.
- Take your sheet of cardstock and orient it "sideways" to be wider than it is tall.
- Mark a line 2" from the bottom edge across the length of the sheet.
- Then make another line on the top side 2" below the edge.
- Next, make a series of five lines parallel to the short side. Start from one short side, and make a line 1" from the edge.
- Draw the next line 3.5" from that line.
- The next line will be 1" from that one.
- Next, make another line, 3.5" from that one. Lastly, mark one more line .5" from the previous one.
- Now, draw a line 1" below the top edge, parallel to the first line you drew but between the lines that make up the first 3.5" space on each side.
- Repeat this on the bottom edge.
If this sounds confusing, be sure to refer to the photo above for clarity.
- Finally, mark off a .5" line on each of the side tabs.
See the photo above.
Read More From Feltmagnet
- Following the template linked to in the supplies section above, cut only along the lines marked in red. I used an X-Acto knife with a sharp blade, but you can also use scissors.
- Discard the pieces of cardstock that are marked with an "X" in the template.
- Carefully fold the cardstock along each of the black lines, creasing it well. Depending on the thickness of the cardstock you use, you may have to score it lightly.
This makes the rest of the process much easier.
- Bend the bottom strip up, folding in the side tabs so that they are parallel with the long sides.
- Then bend up the next 1" strip the same way.
Refer to the photo above for help.
- Now, fold up the sides. Fold the first 1" strip over the side tabs and into the inside of the box.
- Fold each side one side at a time.
- Put a dab of glue onto the side strip and press it firmly to keep the box together.
- Cut off the corners of the top flap so that the tab will fit neatly into the box.
- Lastly, fold down the top, and crease the .5" flap down.
Your cardstock gift box is finished!