3 Creative DIY Harry Potter Crafts
Welcome to the World of Harry Potter
It's a fun time to be a Harry Potter fan. Here are three simple DIYs that require few materials and allow you to dabble in the magical world of witches and wizards!
Students are placed in houses within Hogwarts, the magical school from the Harry Potter series, which possess colors that signify each house. Hogwarts bears four houses: Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff. The colors are immediately spotted on students by the scarfs they wear and symbolize the house they belong to.
Here are the colors for each house:
Gryffindor: Scarlet and Gold
Slytherin: Green and Silver
Ravenclaw: Blue and Bronze
Hufflepuff: Yellow and Black
1. Hogwarts House Scarf
If you are a Harry Potter fan, the Hogwarts house scarf is one of the most significant items to own. This scarf can be kept as a souvenir or used as a costume accessory. Most DIY projects I found required knitting, but here is a simple method using felt sheets.
1. Buy felt sheets that are 13"x9" in your preferred house colors. Cut them into fours.
2. Use a glue gun to glue the pieces together. Glue the first and second color to each other, in sequence. Four to five feet is a good length for a scarf, but you may make it as long as you wish.
3. On the last sheet, cut equal frills to create a fringe effect.
4. You have a Harry Potter house scarf of your choice! If you wish, glue the matching house emblem onto the scarf for an added touch.
2. Harry Potter Bookmark
The Harry Potter bookmark is very much like the Harry Potter scarf. It's essentially the scarf in a miniature size to fit inside your favorite novel. You simply need felt, scissors, and a glue gun.
1. Cut the felt to 21.5cmx6.5cm of one color. Then, snip smaller strips of the second color.
2. Glue them together with a glue gun. It will dry in no time.
This little bookmark will fit the novel of your desired choice.
3. Hogwarts Acceptance Letter
The letter Harry receives informing him that he has been accepted to the wizard and witchcraft school of magic is a popular DIY project. One of the best crafts of this I've seen has it made out of felt. It may have the acceptance letter inside, but this DIY is to create an envelope for small belongings.
1. Choose a piece of material of your choice. It can be large or small.
2. Fold the fabric into the pattern of an envelope. Be sure to glue the edges that you wish to remain closed, such as the top folds and the bottom edges. The inside of envelope can remain open to put things like pencils or “Letters.”
3. Draw the Hogwarts emblem on the front flap with a permanent fine-point pen. You may use a Sharpie or craft marker.
4. Glue a string and red button or brown object to tie the envelope closed.
These crafts are a lot of fun for Harry Potter fans. Enjoy!