Easy Halloween Crafts: Handprint and Footprint Art
Halloween Crafts for Kids
Easy Halloween Crafts
Some of the cutest and easiest crafts out there for kids to make are turning their handprints or footprints into fun works of art. Not only are they a great way to celebrate the different holidays, they also make a sweet keepsake that parents or other loved ones will treasure throughout the years.
One of the best holidays to start your child's handprint and footprint art collection is Halloween. Over the years, my boys have made so many different spooky pictures both at school and at home using their prints. If you are looking for easy Halloween crafts to make with your kids or students, read further for a list of needed supplies, directions on how to create each spooky picture, and several fun art projects to make using your child's prints.
What You Will Need
Here is a list of craft supplies to have on hand to make these various Halloween handprint and footprint art ideas:
- Paint (black, white, orange, green, purple, and yellow)
- Colored construction paper or cardstock paper
- Googly eyes
- Gluestick or white glue
- Black marker
- Newspaper (to protect crafting area)
Halloween Handprint ArtClick thumbnail to view full-size
All of these handprint art ideas are super easy to make and your kids will have so much fun transforming their prints into spooky Halloween scenes. Although the below directions will have certain colors of paint or construction paper, feel free to change these into your own desired colors.
How to Make:
- Pumpkin - Paint your child's hand with white paint and press firmly on an orange sheet of construction paper. Cut the paper around the handprint into a pumpkin shape. Add a green stem to the top of the pumpkin. If desired, glue to a sheet of cardstock paper and add the title "My Little Pumpkin".
- Spider - Draw a spider web background on a sheet of purple construction paper. Apply black paint on only the palm and fingers of your child's hand and press firmly onto the paper. Paint your child's hand again and make another handprint joining the palms together so the fingers will create the 8 legs. Glue on googly eyes and add a mouth.
- Bat - Make 2 handprints by painting your child's whole hand black. Be sure to place the second print to join at the palm with the thumbs pointing up for the ears and fingers out for the wings. Glue on googly eyes and add a mouth. For more decoration, add a glittery moon to the orange construction paper.
- Witch - Apply green paint to the palm and black paint to the fingers of your child's hand and press firmly onto a sheet of paper. Glue on googly eyes and draw on face with a black marker. Finish the witch by adding hair and a pointy hat around the fingers with either a black marker or paint.
- Frankenstein - Brush on green paint to the palm and black paint to the fingers of your child's hand and press firmly onto a sheet of paper. Glue on googly eyes and draw on face with a black marker. Finish this spooky Frankenstein by adding black square ears and a stitched wound on his forehead.
- Black Cat - Apply black paint to your child's hand and press firmly to a sheet of purple construction paper. Make sure the fingers are pointing down and draw or paint the tail with a black marker or paint. With white paint, create the face and whiskers on the end of the thumb print and draw the sharp claws on the ends of the fingers.
- Monsters/Aliens - Paint your child's hand with bright colors such as purple and green. Press firmly on a sheet of orange construction paper with the fingers pointing upwards. Add googly eyes to the ends of the fingers or one big eye to the center of the hand. If desired, add a cute title such as "Mom's Little Monsters".
- Candy Corn - Divide your child's hand into 3 sections using orange paint starting at the top of the palm, then a stripe of yellow, and finishing with white on the end of the fingers. Press firmly onto a sheet of black construction paper with the fingers pointing down. If desired, add a cute title such as "Mom's Little Sweetie".
Halloween Footprint ArtClick thumbnail to view full-size
Instead of a handprint, make fun Halloween inspired works of art with your kid's footprints. For these craft projects, I suggest laying out newspaper on the floor and have a wet cloth and bowl of soapy water ready for clean-up. Being prepared ahead of time will help prevent your little one running off while making a line of painted tracks across your floor. Below you will find several ideas for Halloween footprint art.
How to Make:
- Halloween Feet - Apply green paint to both of your child's feet and press firmly to a sheet of white paper. Trim the white paper around the footprints and glue to a sheet of orange construction paper. Add a cute title such as "Trick or Treat, Smell My Feet".
- Ghost - Paint your little one's foot with white paint and press firmly on a black sheet of construction paper with the toes pointing down. Draw on the eyes and mouth with a black marker. Rub a glue stick over the ghost and add silver glitter. You can also make smaller ghosts with upside down white handprints.
- Vampire - Apply white paint to the heel and black paint to the rest of your child's foot and press firmly to a sheet of purple construction paper. Glue on googly eyes and draw on hair and face with a black marker. Add red glitter around the black body to serve as the cape. You can also take this same idea and turn your footprint into a full body witch, Frankenstein, or monster/alien.
Halloween Handprint and Footprint Craft Ideas
How to Make
Halloween canvas art
Create several of the handprint and footprint ideas onto your desired size of canvas boards. Hang on the wall for fun Halloween décor.
Halloween ceramic plate or serving platter
Paint any of the above Halloween inspired scenes on a ceramic plate or serving platter. Place on an easel for cute Halloween décor.
Halloween t-shirt or onesie
Use a fabric paint on a t-shirt or onesie to create any of the above handprint or footprint ideas for a festive Halloween top.
Halloween greeting cards
Create one of the above art ideas on a sheet of folded cardstock paper. Add special wording to make a homemade Halloween card.
Halloween treat bag
Use a fabric paint to add the above designs to a canvas tote bag. Personalize it by adding your child's name with paint and stencils.
Halloween spider decoration
Make several handprint spiders on cardstock paper. Cut them out and add to a fake spider web for a fun Halloween decoration.
Halloween bat decoration
Make several handprint bats on cardstock paper. Cut them out and punch a hole on the top of the head. Insert a string and hang around the house for spooky Halloween decor.
Handprint or Footprint Poll
Which kind of craft will you be making?
Fun Halloween Activities for Kids
Any of the above craft ideas would make fun family activities to create with the kids. Try out painting a ceramic platter with the Halloween feet idea or creating a spooky spider decoration to greet your guests as they arrive trick-or-treat night. Whatever project you decide to make, getting crafty with your children is a great way to celebrate the Halloween holiday while creating works of art that you will come to treasure over the years.
Whether you are a parent or teacher, I hope you have found an easy Halloween craft to make with your kids or students. If you have any comments or questions about any of the above art ideas or have other handprint and footprint crafts to share, feel free to leave these in the comment section below. Happy Halloween to all!