How to Monogram Cloth Dinner Napkins
Decorating on a Budget
After adding a monogram to my coffee mugs, I wanted to continue my quest of updating my home décor in the kitchen all while keeping my very limited budget in mind. I remembered my mother giving me two hand-painted monogrammed kitchen towels as a gift one year and thought this would be a great idea to recreate on cloth dinner napkins. With the same style of stencil I used in my last project, I managed to make an elegant looking napkin to compliment my new table décor.
This DIY craft idea was super easy to make and added a much needed personal touch to my dinner table. Having picked up these particular cloth napkins on clearance and already having the fabric paint on hand, this whole project cost me around $3.00 to make. Below you will find a list of supplies you will need, step-by-step directions to follow, and other helpful tips for your monogrammed dinner napkins.
DIY Monogrammed Dinner NapkinsClick thumbnail to view full-size
How to Monogram the Napkins
Adding a monogrammed initial to your cloth dinner napkins is a very easy way to personalize your table décor. With a simple fold and solid color napkin ring, you can create an elegant presentation for your future dinner guests. Below is a list of supplies you will need and directions to complete this budget-friendly DIY craft:
- Cloth dinner napkins
- Fabric paint
- Spread out cloth dinner napkins on a hard, flat surface.
- Place stencil on desired area of napkin. Use several pieces of tape to secure the stencil to the napkin. Most monogrammed initials are placed on the bottom center of the napkin but feel free to add it anywhere as long as the letter will be seen once the napkin is folded up on the table.
- Use a paintbrush and your choice of color in fabric paint to carefully apply the monogrammed initial to the napkin.
- Once the paint is completely dry, carefully lift the stencil off the napkin to reveal the monogram.
- Use a smaller tip paintbrush to fix any mistakes or to straighten up the lines of the monogrammed letter.
- When the design is finished, fold or roll up cloth napkin and attach the napkin ring. Your project is now ready to display on your kitchen or dining room table.
How to Wash the Napkins
To clean the hand-painted dinner napkins, I suggest to hand wash in the sink or use the delicate cycle in the washing machine. When I first washed my monogrammed kitchen towels with a large load of towels on the regular cycle, it made the color of the paint fade a bit. If this happens, you can always repaint to brighten up the color of the monogram.
How to Fold Napkins
Folding these hand painted cloth napkins is quite easy. The most important thing to remember is you want to paint the stencil in an area where you will be able to see the monogram once you fold or roll the napkin. A good idea is to practice the fold before you paint the napkin and mark the area where you want your monogram to display. To recreate the simple fold shown in the pictures above, follow the directions below and secure with a napkin ring.
5 Easy Steps to Folding Cloth Napkins:
- Spread out the cloth napkin on table.
- Fold in half to where the stenciled monogram is at the bottom center of the napkin.
- Turn the folded napkin around and roll up left side halfway to center of napkin.
- Roll up the right side to meet in the center of the napkin.
- Attach the napkin ring and adjust the front to make the monogrammed stencil the focal point of the napkin.
More Ways to Fold Napkins
Dinner Napkin Poll
What kind of napkins do you use at the dinner table?
Easy DIY Craft Project for the Dinner Table
Monogramming cloth dinner napkins is a great way to dress up your dinner table when you are on a budget. You don't have to spend a fortune to get elegant looking napkins if you make this easy do-it-yourself craft!
These napkins also make a sweet and unique gift for any wedding, birthday, or holiday. I can honestly say that my most treasured gifts over the years are the homemade ones. You can still see all these gifts proudly displayed throughout my house.
I hope you have found an easy DIY craft project to update your home décor. If you have any questions or comments about this project, feel free to leave these in the comment section provided below. Best of luck with your project!