Do You Want to Spruce up Your Case?
Marbled phone cases are trending across social media, and, being a DIY lover, I became interested in trying to create the design myself. Apple headphone cases are standardized, plain, and white—join me as we give them some personality!
This article is a step-by-step guide to creating a marble design using nail polish. Though the instructions are easy to follow, this craft takes a while to perfect. Let's get started!
What You'll Need
- Multiple colors of nail polish
- A top coat (preferably gloss or glitter)
- A disposable art bowl (one that you don't mind getting covered in nail polish)
- Headphone case
- Nail polish remover
- Cotton swabs
- Tooth picks
- Cold water
1. Set up: Fill the bowl with cold water and remove the headphones from the case. Set the cover on the side. Using the string, tie it around in the dip so you can hold it when lowering it into the water bath.
2. Pour Nail Polish: Pour some nail polish into the water bath at random. Swirl it around using a toothpick before it hardens (you need to act quickly)!
3. Apply the Design: Slowly lower the headphone case into the bath and push it under with the toothpick. Allow it to resurface. Remove the excess nail polish with another toothpick. Hang the case up using the string, allowing at least 30 minutes of drying time. Afterwards, apply a top coat to the back side.
4. Optional: If there is dry nail polish in the seams, remove it using nail polish remover and cotton swabs. This will be necessary if it is a headphone case by Apple, as otherwise, it won't be able to close properly.
Notes to Consider
- Make sure to use cold water, as hot water will make the nail polish harden much more quickly. That would not allow for enough time to swirl the colors to get a marbled design.
- This technique would also result in a stellar phone case!
- This is based on personal experience and multiple trials.
© 2017 Monique K-G
Monique K-G (author) from Switzerland on October 18, 2017:
I hope that you enjoy this as much as I have!