Ceramic Tile Arts and Crafts for Kids
Creating a Little Masterpiece
This is a project that is guaranteed to wow both children and adults alike. If you have ever had a birthday party or family get together with lots of kids around you have probably thought, "I wish I had something to keep them busy and calm them down". They need something to do that will keep them interested, doesn't require a lot of mess, and doesn't require a lot of skill or dexterity. Giving them a project that they can create themselves to take home is always a sure winner. They are free to create their own masterpiece just for them or give it to a loved one as a gift. Drawing on ceramic tile is a perfect inexpensive craft that will keep them happy and create a long lasting memory.
Materials for Craft Project
Hook for Wall Hanging
- Provide each child with a 4 1/2" square tile and a variety of colored permanent markers used for drawing.
- Make sure they use only permanent markers.
- It stays on the tile, and within seconds, it will be dry enough to handle.
- After they have created their picture, let them pick a pre-cut felt color square to glue to the back of the tile.
- If they want to hang the tile on the wall, place a paper clip on the back just below the edge to use as a hook.
The next few steps will require some assistance for small children.
- Hot glue the bottom half of the clip to the tile.
- Once the glue is dry, place a piece of masking tape over the glued area for extra hold.
- Before gluing the felt to the back, lay the square over the back and mark the spot where the paper clip is located.
- Make a small cut on the marked spot, hot glue the back of tile, and place the felt over it.
- Allow paper clip to poke out of the hole so it can be accessible for hanging on the wall.
- Set the tile aside for about 10 minutes, then lightly spray the front of the tile with a clear water base polyurethane to seal in the picture.
- Let dry for 10 minutes and then it should be ready for them to take it home.
- 4 1/2" square tiles (16 cents ea.)
- Variety of colored felt squares (20 cents ea.)
- Permanent markers
- Paper clips or other hanging hook (optional)
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- Masking tape (optional)
- Spray can of water base polyurethane
This is a great craft for birthday parties, sleepovers, family picnics, or family time for the gift giving holidays. You can hang them on the wall, set them on a stand, or create smaller tile art to use as a refrigerator magnet.