7 Creative Ways to Reuse Lightbulbs
The Three R's
Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. These three powerful words will make your lifestyle more environmentally friendly should you choose to do so! The three R's are in this order for a reason.
- First, focus on reducing what is unnecessary or what you can do without. You can do this by not buying plastic-wrapped items, borrow instead of buy, and share. There will always be something that you find that you would normally toss.
- It is all about the middle step: reusing. When you reuse an object, you give it a new life, and it is no longer headed for the last step.
- Recycling is that last step. To keep from having to recycle items, reuse them. It's simple to do and can bring out the creativity in you as well!
1. Hanging Vases
Hanging vases are a beautiful way to use a light bulb and add a fresh look to your home or outdoor area!
What You'll Need:
- Needle-nose pliers
- Small screwdriver
- Protective gloves and eye protection
- Use the tweezers to pry off the disk on the tip of the bulb. The part under the disk is actually glass, so be careful during this next step.
- Insert the screwdriver and twist until the glass snaps.
- Use your pliers to remove everything that is inside the light bulb and dump it all out.
- Tie a piece of twine securely around the top and it is ready to hang!
- Fill the bulb with water and your favorite flowers.
2. Ship in a Bulb
Ship in a bulb is a fun way to not only reuse a light bulb but also have your friends wondering how you did it! These bulbs will be an excellent addition to any desk or shelf. For help in putting it together, follow the terrarium project link below to learn how to open up the light bulb.
Terrariums are a wonderful way to bring nature indoors and be environmentally friendly at the same time. You will love these tiny green environments encased in glass for you to observe.
4. Hot Air Balloons
Hot air balloons have the same shape as most light bulbs! Without having to break open the light bulb, this fun craft requires paint, brushes, and creativity! These whimsical pieces of art look great hanging from the ceiling and would look just right in any children's rooms. The designs can be as simple or complex as you like. Have fun with it!
Snowmen made from lightbulbs are perfect decorations for cold seasons and even make great gifts! Like the hot hair balloons, you don't have to break into the bulb to do this! Use scraps of fabric for a scarf and hat. Glue a bottle cap to the bottom of the snowman to serve as a base. To make a snowman ornament, attach a loop of yarn or wire at the top.
6. Decorative Items
Decorative pieces can easily be made from burned out lights. Simply dip the bulbs in glue and glitter! Allow them to dry completely, and place them in a glass jar to display in your home. If the lights are colored, you can skip the glue and glitter and put them in a tall glass vase. Choose colors that go with the season or theme you want. These make perfect centerpieces, especially during the holidays.
7. Hanging Colored Bulbs
Hanging bulbs are an easy and great addition to any room. All you have to do is paint the burned-out bulbs in the colors of your choice and hang them with fishing wire! The effect is very whimsical. The colors you choose will determine the tone of the piece. These could also be used a garden decoration as well if they are hung from tree branches or outdoor roofing. I think these could also be a colorful decoration for a special occasion.